MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 24 APRIL 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore, Chairman

CC

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

William and James Habershon, Habershon Land for item 124.1

 

 

 

Tamsyn Froom, Architect, Orme Ltd for item 124.1

 

 

 

Two members of the general public for item 124.1

 

 

 

 

 

 

119/16

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

119.1/16

Apologies were received from Paula Freeland (PF) and Philip Ham, District and County Councillor (PH)

 

 

 

 

120/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

120.1/16

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

121/16

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 MARCH 2017

 

 

 

 

121.1/16

The minutes of the meeting held on 20 March 2017 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

122/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 MARCH 2017

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – white line markings (SLOW) are still outstanding where the new signs were installed at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road.  PH will be asked to expedite.

 

 

PH

 

 

 

051.2/16

S106 Open Space – this is mentioned in the newsletter and parishioners have been asked for suggestions for the use of a communal open space. 

 

 

 

 

 

057.1/16

DM to instruct the two parishioners who had volunteered to be Guardians for the Rec Field defibrillator.  Continues.

 

DM

 

 

 

071.6/16

Clerk to note new cemetery land when next renewing the insurance.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

087.4/16

CC has sent VT the details of who she should contact at Somerset Wildlife Trust regarding suitable areas in the village for sowing wild flowers. Continues.

 

VT

 

 

 

104.2/16

Councillor absence – The Clerk had contacted SALC about leave of absence for VT.  It was noted that as long as the council approves the reason for a prolonged period of absence prior to the 6 month period elapsing then there is no problem.  The council will need to pass a resolution permitting the councillor in question to be absent for a period of time longer than six months. 

 

 

 

 

109.1.5.2/16

Designation as a ‘secondary’ village – The Principal Planning Policy Officer has stated that even if the status of the village does not change in plan policy, the gain or loss of local services may still be a matter taken into account by officers when considering an individual planning application.  A more pragmatic approach is supported as interim policy advice particularly where some flexibility is needed around small scale development or proposals which have parish council support

 

 

 

 

109.1.7.2/16

Affordable Housing

 

 

 

 

 

·      It was noted that several Housing Associations have been approached with reference to the development at Grove Shute but the question still remains as to whether the two with housing stock already in the village have been considered. 

 

 

 

 

 

·      It was suggested that AT, PH and CC should meet with the persons responsible for S106 and Affordable Homes to see what options there are to use the S106 money to which Leigh-on-Mendip has exclusive rights for the next three years for affordable housing.  AT agreed to investigate who the correct person to meet with was and then set up a meeting. 

 

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

110.3/16

Paint for signposts – it was noted that the work has commenced and that an invoice for materials will be presented for payment at the next meeting.  It was noted that the telephone box also needs to be repainted and DS agreed to speak to Chris Ingrem about this

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

110.4/16

Auditor – the Clerk reported that Richard Blunden had agreed to carry out the internal audit

 

 

 

 

110.5/16

Asset Register and Risk Assessment – to be reviewed by the Clerk and DM.

Clerk/

DM

 

 

 

112.2/16

Newsletter – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

113.1/16

PCSO – DS had not yet been able to speak to the PCSO about the recent ‘rave’ at Barnsclose although the landowner has now blocked the entrance.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

113.3/16

Highways – CC had checked the planning conditions regarding the sweeping of roads and site safety at Park Hayes – no planning conditions are relevant.

 

 

 

 

117.1/16

APCM/APM – the Clerk had carried out the various actions required to organise the annual meetings.  AT gave his apologies for the meeting and was asked to submit his report beforehand.

 

 

 

 

123/16

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

123.1/16

Mendip District Council – AT

 

 

·           Wainwright’s Quarry Liaison meeting scheduled.  Company are to resubmit for heightening three spoil heaps and digging deeper. 

 

 

·           Pump Track – AT asked about the length of time which planning permission took.  AT to speak to David Pattison

 

AT

 

·           Planning Board supported housing development on the edge of Stoke St Michael although outside the development limit.

 

 

·           Shape Mendip Lottery – commenced and gradually gaining interest

 

 

·           Cabinet approved the Rode neighbourhood plan to go forward

 

 

 

 

123.2/16

Somerset County Council - PH

 

 

 

 

 

In the absence of PH no County Council report was available

 

 

 

 

124/16

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

124.1/16

2017/0947/VRC Variation of conditions 2 (drawing numbers); 11 (visibility splays); 12 (access); and 13 (turning and parking) of planning permission 2014/2760/FUL  at Grove Shute Farm, BA3 5QT

 

 

 

 

124.1.2/16

William and James Habershon together with Tamsyn Froom, the architect,  attended the meeting to discuss the proposed amendments to the development at Grove Shute Farm

 

 

 

 

124.1.3/16

Amendments include more continuous ridge lines giving a linear feel to the proposal.  Materials proposed are a mix of natural stone, clay tiles and timber cladding (larch) to reflect the local palette and agricultural nature of the site.  The massing of the buildings has been amended to give a sense of single storey elements reflecting outbuildings and larger elements reflecting barns.

 

 

 

 

124.1.4/16

It was noted that the plan also allows for ten different varieties of trees to be planted in the adjoining field between the development and Yew Tree Cottage.  This proposal was discussed in some detail and it was agreed that the architect should talk to the ecologist again about making sure that the trees do not obscure the view from Yew Tree Cottage and that they are not too close to the boundary.  Some additional consideration should be given to the variety of tree to be planted.

 

 

 

 

124.1.5/16

After further discussion, DM proposed, DS seconded and it was agreed unanimously to recommend approval of the amendments with the caveat that the tree planting proposal does not form a screen in front of Yew Tree Cottage and that it does not obscure the view and the species are appropriate, i.e. not too large. Clerk to submit comments to MDC.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

124.1.6/16

William and James Habershon, Tamsyn Froom and members of the public then left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

124.2/16

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry by the extraction of limestone, replacement of existing asphalt plant with a new asphalt plant and associated facilities, retention of the concrete batching plant and the reopening of the access road to Rookery Farm with relinquishment of the existing permission and extension of end date for the entire quarry and all quarry activities to 31 December 2044 with restoration to be completed by December 2046.

 

 

 

 

124.2.1/16

After discussion the following observations were agreed unanimously

 

 

 

 

124.2.2/16

It is recommended that the application is approved as the economic and community value to the Parish outweighs any limited environmental concerns.  However this recommendation is conditional upon a satisfactory S106 legal agreement.  The legal agreement covers items which significantly affect the Parish.  Certain aspects of the ‘Proposed Heads of Terms for a Legal Agreement Relating to Halecombe Quarry Deepening’ are rejected and there are other items which will need to be added and clarified in the final S106 agreement.

 

 

 

 

124.2.3/16

These include alterations and amendments to the following items

 

 

 

 

 

·         Item 7 Long Term Management Scheme

·         Item 8 Long Term Management Fund

·         Item 10 Local Community Fund where it is strongly recommended that Leigh-on-Mendip has the first option on 70% of the available funds for requests meeting the Community Fund Criteria

·         Item 11 routing protocol for HGV’s which is welcomed by the Parish Council but notes that all HGV’s should turn right not left when exiting the quarry.  The routeing also relates to A361 access only and the Council queries whether A37 access via the Old Wells Road should be included

·         Successor Companies

 

 

 

 

124.2.4/16

It was agreed that CC would draft a response for Councillors approval and would submit on 3 May.

 

CC

 

 

 

124.3/16

2016/1854/FUL – Conversion and extension of dwelling to one two bedroom and one three bedroom apartment/flats at 11 Park Hayes for Mr P Lewis – approved

 

 

 

 

124.4/16

2017/0326/FUL – Change of use to a cemetery on land adjacent to Memorial Hall, Leigh-on-Mendip– request received for more information on the water levels to which CC has responded.  Permission expected by the end of the week

 

 

 

 

124.5/16

2016/3179/PAA – Notification for prior approval for a proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwellinghouse and associated operational development – Land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottage, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip – approved

 

 

 

 

124.6/16

Local Plan Part 2 Consultation – Local Green Spaces

 

 

 

 

124.6.1/16

MDC had distributed information regarding Local Green Spaces under the Local Plan Part 2 Consultation which included a map of those green spaces already designated with a note indicating the reasons for designation. 

 

 

 

 

124.6.2/16

After discussion it was agreed to support the four sites proposed but to recommend the addition of a further four sites.  Details of the landowners involved and amendments to the sport provision were also discussed.  It was agreed that CC would draft a response for Councillors to approve and submit to MDC by 2 May.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

125/16

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

125.1/16

Financial Statement - the statement to 24.04.17 was approved.

 

 

 

 

125.2/16

PCC Request for grant £300 – the grant is requested as financial support to the application for a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund towards repairs to the nave roof at St Giles’ church.  This was approved unanimously and a confirmatory letter signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

125.3/16

Cheques raised

              Clerk’s Salary – March 2017 - £202.18

              Eau2 Diver Training – CPR and AED Manual training and registration £94.20

              HMRC payment – Feb/March - £95.80

 

 

 

 

126/16

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

126.1/16

Provision of Utilities to the Church

 

 

 

 

126.1.1/16

A discussion took place regarding payment for water usage once the church is connected to the water main and it was agreed that the Council did not wish to be currently committed to a revenue scheme for the forthcoming water supply to the church as there is no new requirement for water in the closed churchyard or current cemetery while the water butt is retained.

 

 

 

 

126.1.2/16

The Council also agreed that the tap they had requested in the new cemetery need only be a 15mm T in an identified position that can be connected to a tap later when the new cemetery is commissioned and at Council expense.  At that time the Council will accept a proportionate share of the charges to cover water usage in the new cemetery.

 

 

 

 

126.2/16

Churchyard grass cutting – it was noted that the schedule has had to be changed because of the erection of the scaffolding.  The contractor had suggested using a composter for the grass cutting but this had been refused.

 

 

 

 

127/16

PREPARATION OF 2017 NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

127.1/16

The draft newsletter was discussed and approved.  The Clerk will obtain a ream of coloured paper and arrange for the photocopying of 250 copies and then deliver to DM who will pass them onto Councillors for distribution.  CC will email round the normal distribution list

 

 

 

 

128/16

ARRANGEMENTS FOR ANNUAL PARISH MEETING

 

 

 

 

128.1/16

The Clerk and CC will prepare the necessary paperwork.  The Clerk will obtain the refreshments.  The Annual Meeting of the Parish Council will commence at 7.00 p.m. and the Annual Parish Meeting will commence at 8.00 p.m.

 

 

 

 

129/16

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

129.1/16

PCSO – it was noted that the Recreation Field Management Committee have been in contact with the PCSO regarding some issues with cyclists exiting the Recreation Field in a dangerous manner and in the surrounding area after using the pump track.

 

 

 

 

129.2/16

Footpaths – DS reported that the signpost in front of Fern Cottage is not yet in place but he has left a voicemail message with Claire Haskins. 

 

 

 

 

 

129.3/16

Highways – recent speed indicator showed a median of 27 mph.  Thanks were extended to Chris Ingrem for starting to repaint the signposts.

 

 

 

 

129.4/16

Recreation Field – AGM took place on 10 April.  More work is being done to get the shed rendered and there will also be a working party on 28 May at 10.00 a.m.  The official opening evening for the Pump Track was a great success.

 

 

 

 

129.5/16

Memorial Hall – there is a problem with the front door lock which is being managed.  There will be a maintenance morning on 6 May.

 

 

 

 

129.6/16

School – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

129.7/16

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

129.8/16

Quarry – DS reported that he is waiting for an update on what was spent in the village in 2016.  A new canopy has been installed over the Woodland Classroom.

 

 

 

 

130/16

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

 

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

131/16

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

132/16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

132.1/16

The Clerk had received the following correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·               Letter from the Lord Lieutenant of Somerset regarding The Great Get Together which will take place 17/18 June

·                  Invitation to host a free NHS Health Check event for the parish before October.  Agreed that the Clerk should forward this to LOMCA to see if they are interested if not the Council may host this themselves.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

133/16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

133.1/16

The Annual Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 15 May at 7.00pm and the next ordinary meeting will take place on Monday 19 June 2017 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.