MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 JULY 2018 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

 

In attendance

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

Philip Ham, District and County Councillor

PH

 

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

5 members of the public

 

 

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

0016/18

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

0016.1/18

Apologies were received from Dave Mattick (DM)

 

 

 

 

0017/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0017.1/18

VT, CC and VGT declared an interest in any discussions on the complaint regarding the Open Spaces project.  There were no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

0018/18

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 JUNE 2018

 

 

 

 

0018.1/18

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 June 2018 were agreed as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chairman as were the minutes of the meeting held on 16 April 2018.

 

 

 

 

0019/18

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 JUNE 2018

 

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate –PF has a mandate form to complete and take to a Nat West bank - ongoing.   

PF

 

 

 

 

106/17

Dog Waste Problem

 

 

·                     DM had tried to contact Mr Glover at MDC on several occasions regarding Rufus but had not had any response.  CC to give

Mr Glover’s telephone number to DM.

 

 

CC/DM

 

·                     VGT asked for a number for Rufus’ owner so that she can be told when he is loose.  SW will try and obtain this for her.

 

SW

 

·                     The dog waste bin has not yet arrived – Clerk to chase

Clerk

 

 

 

132.3/17

End of financial year actions:

·                     Risk Assessment and Assets changes outstanding:

o    Change 10. “Election Costs” from M/L to Low. Clerk to update

o    Data Protection risk should be reviewed following SALC   presentation

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath – continues

CC

 

 

 

145.1.2/17

Quarry - planning decision delayed whilst an S106 is agreed regarding potential impact on local springs. CC asked PH to ensure that the Parish Council is consulted on all the issues raised on the initial draft S106, including the LTMF and community fund.  PH reported that SCC will be revamping the mineral and waste planning document and a new Planning Officer has been appointed.

 

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

151/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION – all items on hold

 

 

 

 

151.3/17

VT to confirm offer in writing/email – on hold

VT

 

 

 

151.5/17

Actions

 

 

·                   VT to check whether the size of the land is 1.25 or 1.5 acres – on hold

VT

 

·                     VT to check and copy the land search – on hold

VT

 

 

 

152.1/17

Annual Meeting arrangements – the Clerk to provide a schedule of meetings for 2018/198 although generally meetings will take place on the third Monday of each month apart from August

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

APCM1/18

Open Space – The Clerk to compile a file of letters from parishioners and responses following the letters sent to neighbours of the proposed Open Space project.  To be copied to all Parish Councillors.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

APCM2/18

GDPR – the Clerk will carry out data protection briefings for the Parish Council, Recreation Field and Hall Committees.  SW and DM to ensure that both committees minute the fact that they will be trained

Clerk

SW

DM

 

 

 

APCM3/18

Downhead Finger Post – this finger post requires a new spigot.  VGT will provide details for an introduction to DS of someone at Duo Engineering who may be able to help.

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

APM4/18

Beacon Crossroad – it was noted that enhancements to the Old Frome Road do not include the A37 cross roads at Beacon Cross.  This is a separate issue which is being considered.

 

 

 

 

006.4.12/18

Grove Shute Farm – CC had written to the developers and the Planning Officer stating that the Parish Council would like the environmental issues resolved as per the planning permission (including the hedge next to the bungalow).  CC reported that the Enforcement Planning Officer is now involved in sorting out this situation.

 

 

 

 

007.1/17

Financial Statement – the review of the June Financial statement was deferred to the July meeting - complete

 

 

 

 

007.4.2/18

Churchyard – the Clerk has informed the new churchyard grass cutting contractor to be careful around individual graves where items of grave furniture may be hidden in the long grass - complete

 

 

 

 

007.4/18

Telephone Box painting – the Clerk had received the invoice and the cheque is due for issue under ‘Finance’

 

 

 

 

008.2/18

New Cemetery – it was noted that the area had been sprayed to eradicate the weeds.  DS had prepared a specification for reseeding which was discussed.  It was agreed that this was unlikely to happen by the end of September as previously indicated and that the plan should be to reseed in the spring.  It was agreed that the cost of reseeding would be approximately £50.

 

 

 

 

011.1.1/18

PCSO (Parked cars outside the school) – DS had spoken to Sarah Claxton at the school and it was noted that Mike Storey, the PCSO had visited.  There it now only one parked vehicle.  DS agreed to follow this up with Mike Storey and the situation needs to be kept under review.

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

011.2/18

Footpaths – DS reported that he had emailed Clare Haskins to remind her about landowners keeping footpaths clear of crops - complete

 

 

 

 

011.9/18

Quarry – DS has drafted a letter for the Clerk to send to Tarmac thanking them for the recent litter pick.  DS will resend this to the Clerk - ongoing

DS

Clerk

 

 

 

020/18

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

020.1/18

AT – District Councillor

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Street and Cranmore PC’s have applied for an increase in councillors.  Cranmore from 6 to 7 and Street from 12 to 16.

 

 

·                  A street market in Street has been endorsed and will take place on a Thursday afternoon and evening to coincide with late opening at Clark’s village.

 

 

·                  Scrutiny Committee – Capita land charges not doing very well, rectification plan presented by Operations Director.  Also presented end of year report from MDC finance officer £14.5 million budget outturn was £34,000 underspent.

 

 

·                  Coleford PO closed making arrangements for the service to be managed from Mells PO who will visit twice a week on Wednesday and Friday mornings.  Venue will be the Hub opposite the church.  Service will commence 25 July or 2 August.

 

 

 

 

020.2/18

 PH – District Councillor

 

 

 

 

 

·                  MDC Transformation job continues

 

 

·                  Went to Portsmouth to meet the new owners of Clark’s Village.  They intend to expand and up-market the village.

 

 

·                  MDC have acquired a couple more assets

 

 

 

 

020.3/18

PH – County Councillor

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Old Wells Road, highways scheme still going forward

 

 

·                  Unitary debate now in the press.  There are several options which are being considered. 

 

 

·                  Problems around adult and child social care which are more difficult to deal with in rural areas.

 

 

 

 

020.4/18

Road sweeping – CC asked about road sweeping in that the response from the contractors was that MDC had cut their costs whilst MDC replied that there has been no change to the contract.  CC has now been given the schedule.  PH stated that there is a change to the contract in that if a village requires the sweep then they have to ring MDC and request it. 

 

 

 

 

020.5/18

Annex to Paddock View – expand to two storeys and add claddings - PH had spoken to the Planning Officer who had accepted the Parish Council views on this but did not think the Village Design Statement actually fitted because it was a rural property.  Discussions are taking place between the applicant and the Planning Officer about keeping it constrained. 

 

 

 

 

020.6/18

Apple Meadow View chimneys – one of the Enforcement Officers has been looking into this but it is now probably too late for anything to be done.

 

 

 

 

020.7/18

Grove Shute Farm – PH stated that it was hoped that the issues had now been resolved and the houses could be sold.

 

 

 

 

021/18

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

021.1/18

2018/1648/APP Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 5 (hard and soft landscaping) n planning consent 2014/276-/FUL Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

021.1.1/18

There has been no official request to comment on this because it is an amendment. 

 

 

 

 

021.1.2/18

There are some issues outstanding, A retaining wall at the rear of the site (west boundary) required due to the level changes on the rear boundary – approximately 2 meters high due to the level changes on site. A stone retaining wall to the east of plot 1 at the front of the site varying from 1.4 meters high to 0 meters high due to the topography on site, required due to level changes and surface water management requirements

 

 

 

 

021.1.3/18

Amendments required as the neighbours have planted a Leylandii hedge along the boundary. A 1.8 metre fence has been erected on the applicant’s land to protect the proposed mixed species hedge from the Leylandii hedge, as without protection the Leylandii would most likely prevent new mixed species hedge from growing.

 

 

 

 

021.1.4/18

New Gate into neighbouring field (now in plans). Required for management and access to the ecological enhancement area.

 

 

 

 

021.1.5/18

It was agreed that as long as the proposals are as documented the Council have no problem with the application.

 

 

 

 

022.1/18

CURRENT APPLICATIONS AND PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

 

 

022.1.1/18

2018/1119/HSE Single storey rear extension to existing house and alterations to existing entrance porch on front elevation at Highlands, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip - pending

 

022.1.2/18

2018/1392/FUL Conversion of barn to dwelling – Barn at Mendip View, Old Wells Road, Chantry Frome BA11 3LR - pending

 

 

 

 

022.2/18

2018/1680/AGB – Application for prior notification of agricultural development for a proposed building at 1 Apple Meadow View, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

022.2.1/18

CC stated that this application had been received since the agenda was issued and was for information only.  It was noted that previously the same applicant had applied for permission to erect a barn.  This had been rejected because the amount of land it was on was not large enough.  A condition of the present application was that the building was to be used just for the storage of hay and not for housing livestock. 

 

 

 

 

023/18

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

023.1/18

The financial statement as at 16.07.18 was approved.  The statement as at 18.06.18 was also approved and signed.

 

 

 

 

023.2/18

Annual Accounts – the summary of Income and Expenditure for the year had been distributed and was approved.  The Accounting Statement for 2017/2018 was distributed for consideration.  The accounts are in the process of being internally audited.

 

 

 

 

023.3/18

Groundworks – East end of church and the Drang – it was agreed that the amount of £90 covering the work at the east end of the church would be paid by the Council from the budget allocation for the church.

 

 

 

 

023.4/18

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

·                     HMRC (April, May, June includes deduction of overpayment) £44.59

 

 

·                     Mr C Ingrem – paint for telephone box - £61.78

 

 

·                     Groundworks Plus – East end of Church and the Drang groundworks - £382.54

 

 

·                     SALC Affiliation Fee – 2018/19 - £143.26

 

 

·                     Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary June - £218.42

 

 

·                     Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary July - £218.42

 

 

 

 

024/18

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

024.1/18

The Clerk reported on the work which the new contractor was undertaking in the church yard and the amount of time and effort which was required to bring the area back to some sort of order.  It was agreed that an amount of £240 which had been budgeted for and not spent could be allocated so that additional work can be undertaken

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

024.2/18

The Clerk reported on some problems in the Cemetery where a metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  It was agreed to write to the family and send a copy of the rules and regulations and ask for these items to be removed.  The Clerk also reported that an additional inscription had been added to a gravestone without prior approval and without a fee being paid.  The Clerk will investigate.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk


 

 

 

 

025/18

COMPLAINT REGARDING BREACH OF CODE OF CONDUCT

 

 

 

 

025.1/18

CC reported that information had been received from MDC just before the meeting stating that the allegations of breaches of the Code of Conduct show no case to answer.  This means now that an Open Space Open Meeting can be arranged and this will be an agenda item for the next meeting.  Nothing further on this subject will be discussed until the meeting on 17 September.  CC asked those present from the Hedgerows to attend the meeting in September with some proposed dates for the Open Meeting so that this meeting can be planned and advertised.

 

 

 

 

026/18

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

026.1/18

PCSO – the issue of the parked cars outside the school is discussed under ‘matters arising’.

 

 

 

 

026.2/18

Footpaths – DS had written to Clare Haskins at SCC about crops growing over footpaths (discussed under ‘matters arising’).  A footpath sign which had been pointing the wrong way at the top of Vobster hill has now been realigned to the correct direction.

 

 

 

 

026.3/18

Village Rangers – the rangers had cleaned around the church steps and the wall at the front of the churchyard.

 

 

 

 

026.4/18

Highways – the last street sweep was 16 May, CC has emailed the contractor to find out when the next sweep is due.  Roadworks are scheduled to be taking place around Mary’s Grave between 15 and 17 August and 21 and 24 August.  This will mean that all roads around that area will be closed.

 

 

 

 

026.5/18

Recreation Field – SW reported that a new salt bin is required.  CC will investigate.

 

CC

 

 

 

026.6/18

School – SW reported that the Head Teacher is retiring at the end of this term.  The Parish Council wished Mary Sturgess a happy retirement and thanked her for everything she has done for the school and the village.  VGT agreed to send an e-card on behalf of the Parish Council.  SW reported that the school will now have a shared head teacher with Louisa Phillips carrying out the day to day duties.  The school is likely to become part of the Midsomer Norton Academy sometime in the autumn.  It was noted that car parking for staff in the pub car park had not been stopped but mostly the staff park by the school. 

 

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

026.7/18

Memorial Hall – no report available

 

 

 

 

026.8/18

SALC – in correspondence

 

 

 

 

026.9/18

Quarry – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

027/18

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

027.1/18

 Parish Forum to take place on 19 July.  Clerk to send agenda to Councillors.  Next meeting 18 October.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

028/18

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Parish Forum 19 July

DS

 

 

 

029/18

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Email from MDC regarding Count of Gypsy and Traveller Caravans and Sites to take place on 19 July

 

 

·                  Email from Chair of SCC regarding Chairman’s Awards for Service to the Community 2018

 

 

·                  Email from PA to the Chair of Council, SCC, regarding a Civic Service to be held at Priddy Parish Church on Sunday 23 September at 2.30 p.m. followed by refreshments

 

 

·                  Email from SCC with a press release entitled ‘Could you lend a hand to help restore Somerset’s iconic fingerposts?’

 

 

·                  Email from SALC – two new Councillor training opportunities in September and October.  12 September the Council as an Employer and 3 October Local Council Finance Explained

 

 

·                  Email regarding NALC Annual Conference 2018

 

 

·                  Information regarding Fly the Red Ensign for Merchant Navy Day on 3 September 2018

 

 

·                  Letter received by CC from Mr Mahoney about affordable housing,   noting that in practice this is not really suitable for the village.  CC had replied agreeing that this opportunity was unlikely to materialise.  It was noted that there is only one person currently listed on the Housing Registration who meets the criteria to live in Leigh-on-Mendip.  If the allocation for affordable housing is not spent within the village in three years (April 2020) then it becomes available for the adjoining villages.

 

 

 

 

030/18

MENDIP COUNTRY PRACTICE

 

 

 

 

030.1/18

It was noted that a new call system started on 12 July at Mendip Country Practice where a call from a patient will be logged by reception and then a GP will return the call to discuss with the patient whether they need to be seen.  A Duty Doctor is always available for urgent cases which need to be seen straight away.  From 5 September any patient living within a mile of the surgery will have to get their prescriptions from the local Pharmacy and not from the Practice.  This is unlikely to cause any issues for residents of Leigh-on-Mendip.

 

 

 

 

031/18

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

031.1/18

The next meeting will take place on Monday 17 September 2018 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.