MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 17 SEPTEMBER 2018 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

 

In attendance

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

13 members of the public

 

 

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

0032/18

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

0032.1/18

Apologies were received from David Sparkes (DS),  Vicki Taylor (VGT) and Philip Ham (PH) District and County Councillor

 

 

 

 

0033/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0033.1/18

VT declared an interest in any discussions on the purchase of the land for the Open Spaces project.  There were no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

0034/18

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 JULY 2018

 

 

 

 

0034.1/18

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 July 2018 were agreed as a true and accurate record apart from a typographical error in 152.1/17 and were corrected and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

0035/18

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 JULY 2018

 

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate –PF has a mandate form to complete and take to a Nat West bank - ongoing.   

PF

 

 

 

 

106/17

Dog Waste Problem

 

 

·                     CC had given Mr Glover’s number at MDC to DM – complete

 

 

·                     The dog waste bin has not yet arrived – Clerk to chase

Clerk

 

 

 

132.3/17

End of financial year actions:

·                     Risk Assessment and Assets changes outstanding:

o    Change 10. “Election Costs” from M/L to Low. Clerk has updated the Risk Assessment – complete

o   Data Protection risk should be reviewed following briefing by the Clerk

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath – AT suggested getting sworn statements from the neighbours and then making a statutory declaration.  Any further suggestions to be made to CC

CC

 

 

 

 

145.1.2/17

Quarry – the planning application for the deepening of Halecombe Quarry has been resubmitted with the date for responses set at 20 October 2018.  CC stated that there is no indication of the changes made to the original documents and it was agreed that the Council need to know what the changes are in order to give this due consideration.  CC stated that he would contact PH to try and find out before the next meeting so that a discussion can take place.  It was noted that there has not been a quarry liaison meeting since last November and no minutes produced from that meeting.  CC had asked PH to ensure that the Parish Council is consulted on all the issues raised on the initial draft S106, including the LTMF and community fund. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC/PH

 

 

 

151/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION (also discussed elsewhere on the agenda)

 

 

 

 

151.3/17

VT to confirm offer in writing/email – delayed until after the Open Meeting

VT

 

 

 

151.5/17

Actions – delayed until after the Open meeting

 

 

·                   VT to check whether the size of the land is 1.25 or 1.5 acres – on hold

VT

 

·                     VT to check and copy the land search – on hold

VT

 

 

 

152.1/17

Annual Meeting arrangements – the Clerk has provided a schedule of meeting dates for 2018/19 and this will be placed on the noticeboards and on the village website - complete

 

 

 

 

APCM1/18

Open Space – The Clerk to compile a file of letters from parishioners and responses following the letters sent to neighbours of the proposed Open Space project.  To be copied to all Parish Councillors - complete

 

 

 

 

APCM2/18

GDPR – the Clerk had prepared a briefing for the Council together with some templates of a privacy notice and consent form.  She will make arrangements to attend the Recreation Field Management Committee and the Memorial Hall Committee meeting to brief them.  A data log is to be commenced

Clerk

 

 

 

 

APCM3/18

Downhead Finger Post – this finger post requires a new spigot.  It was reported that two parishioners have come forward and will be assessing the damage with a view to seeing if they can fix it - ongoing

 

 

 

 

011.1.1/18

PCSO (Parked cars outside the school) – DS had attended the recent PACT meeting and spoke to the PCSO Mike Storey.  At the moment it looks as though the cars have been removed but the situation will be reviewed periodically - complete

 

 

 

 

 

011.9/18

Quarry – the clerk had sent the letter to the Quarry thanking them for the recent litter pick - complete

 

 

 

 

020.3/18

Old Wells Road scheme – scheme still ongoing

PH

 

 

 

024.1/18

Cemetery – grass cutting – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - The Clerk reported on some problems in the Cemetery where a metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  It was agreed to write to the family and send a copy of the rules and regulations and ask for these items to be removed. 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

026.5/18

Recreation Field salt bin – it was agreed that CC would go ahead and purchase a plastic dustbin for this use.

 

CC

 

 

 

026.6/18

School – VGT had sent an e-card on behalf of the Parish Council to the Head Teacher who had retired at the end of the summer term - complete

 

 

 

 

036/18

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

036.1/18

AT – District Councillor

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Scrutiny Committee called in Capita to explain the issues around land charges/searches.  The eight working days target is now being met.

 

 

·                  Planning Board – application for eight new houses at Faulkland with a maximum size of 4/5 bedrooms.  A housing needs survey is required

 

 

·                  Licensing Board – reviewing charges for licensed activities such as animal keeping and breeding legislation which becomes effective from 1 October.  Brings down the threshold where the license is required.  This applies to businesses which turn over more than £1,000 per year such as dog groomers etc. 

 

 

·                  Mendip Country Practice - New arrangements for provision of prescriptions which mean that if a patient lives within one mile of the surgery they have to get their prescription from the private pharmacy.  The Practice Participation Group asked what would happen if the private pharmacy failed and the answer is that the Practice would be able to bid to provide prescriptions as before.  The new telephone filtering service for patients at the Practice seems to be working very well. 

 

 

·                  A rave was prevented from taking place in the Stoke St Michael area a few weeks ago.  The police were informed and instituted a physical presence around the site.

 

 

·                  The Post Office at Coleford in the Hub is open on Monday afternoons, 2 – 4 p.m. and Wednesday mornings, 9 – 11 a.m. this is run by Mells Post Office.

 

 

 

 

037/18

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

037.1/18

2018/2138/PAA Prior approval of proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwelling house (use Class C3) and for associated operational development – Land at 367524 146177 Old Wells Road, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

037.1.1/18

There had been no official request to comment on this but the application was discussed.

 

 

 

 

037.1.2/18

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

037.1.3/18

It was proposed by CC and seconded by DM to comment that the Council is aware that this is a dangerous road for which SCC is presently considering improvements to safety; there has been a fatality here within the last year.  The Council also queried the use of the agricultural land which the existing barn supports and how that will be used in the future; its access and whether the proposed change of the current barn to a dwelling house would necessitate another agricultural building being built in its place. It was also agreed to inform MDC that although the Council had not been consulted they wished their comments to be logged as consultations on the website.  The Clerk will pass these comments to the Planning Officer at MDC. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

037.2/18

2018/2039/FUL Proposed construction of a manege at Tweed Farm, The Green, Coleford

 

 

 

 

037.2.1/18

This application was discussed.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by DM and agreed unanimously to leave the final decision to the Planning Officer but to make the following comments

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                  The planning application makes no mention of footpaths when in fact there are two FR8/10 and FR8/11 which pass between the farm buildings and this proposal. 

 

 

·                  There is nothing in the application which states that the manege is not for commercial use

 

 

·                  The proposed manege is encroaching into open countryside and would be better located nearer the existing agricultural buildings. 

 

 

·                  Screening should be adequate as it is visible from the public walkway.

 

 

 

 

037.3/18

2018/2186/HSE Retrospective application for the creation of a Juliet balcony and driveway piers and gate – 1 Apple Meadow View, Park Hayes, Leigh-on- Mendip

 

 

 

 

037.3.1/18

This application was discussed.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by SW and agreed unanimously to leave the final decision to the Planning Officer but to state that the driveway gate and piers are out of context with the rest of the housing in the row.  It was agreed that there was no comment on the Juliette Balcony but the Council would like to point out the previous enforcement discussions under reference ENF/2017/0159.

 

 

 

 

037.4/18

CURRENT APPLICATIONS AND PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

 

 

037.4.1/18

2018/1119/HSE Single storey rear extension to existing house and alterations to existing entrance porch on front elevation at Highlands, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip - approved

 

 

 

 

037.4.2/18

2018/1392/FUL Conversion of barn to dwelling – Barn at Mendip View, Old Wells Road, Chantry Frome BA11 3LR - approved

 

 

 

 

037.4.3/18

2018/1680/AGB – Application for prior notification of agricultural development for a proposed building at 1 Apple Meadow View, Leigh-on-Mendip – prior approval not required

 

 

 

 

037.4.4/18

2018/1648/APP Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 5 (hard and soft landscaping) n planning consent 2014/276-/FUL Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip - approved

 

 

 

 

 

037.4.5/18

2017/2589/FUL – Construction of 2 additional holiday let units in discussed quarry at Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill - withdrawn

 

 

 

 

037.4.6/18

2017/1022/CNT – Deepening of Halecombe Quarry – letter just received, comments to be forward to SCC by 20 October 2018.

 

 

 

 

038/18

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

038.1/18

The financial statement as at 17.09.18 was approved. 

 

 

 

 

038.2/18

Annual Accounts – the Clerk reported that the accounts had been audited internally with no problems.  It was agreed to make a payment of £35.00 to the internal auditor and the cheque will be raised at the next meeting.  The Exemption Certificate was agreed and signed by the Chairman and Clerk and this will be sent to the Auditors.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

038.3/18

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

·                     J Gale Property Maintenance (churchyard grass cutting) £650.00

 

 

·                     Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary August - £218.42

 

 

 

 

039/18

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

039.1/18

The current grass cutting contractor had sent a letter indicating the rate for hedge cutting.  It was agreed to ask him to go ahead as soon as possible and cut the cemetery hedge down to the level of the fence.  The Clerk remarked that there were other large shrubs in the churchyard which need trimming and it was agreed that the Clerk would ask the PCC to request this from MDC.  It was noted that MDC are due to come and do their third cut of the yew trees and CC will email the Landscape Group to remind them of this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

CC

 

 

 

039.2/18

It was agreed that the Clerk will laminate a copy of the Rules and Regulations for the cemetery and CC will arrange to put them up.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

039.3/18

New Cemetery – the repairs to the church nave roof are now complete and so Ellis should be removing their cabins very soon.  The area will be reseeded in the spring.

 

 

 

 

040/18

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

040.1/18

It was noted that all policies need to be reviewed and it was agreed that individual Councillors would consider them as follows

 

 

 

 

 

Code of Conduct – DM

 

 

Complaints Procedure - VT

 

 

Data Protection Information – SW

 

 

Retention Policy – CC

 

 

Equality and Diversity – PF

 

 

Financial Regulations – CC

 

 

Freedom of Information Policy – VT

 

 

Freedom of Information Publication Scheme – DM

 

 

Grievance Policy – SW

 

 

Health and Safety Policy – PF

 

 

Recording of meetings - VGT

 

 

Recruitment Policy - VGT

 

 

Standing Orders - DS

 

 

 

 

040.2/18

All policies are on the village website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

041/18

ARRANGEMENTS FOR OPEN SPACE PUBLIC MEETING

 

 

 

 

041.1/18

This item was taken first on the agenda after which the members of the public left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

041.2/18

It was agreed that the Open Space Public Meeting would be held on Wednesday 24 October at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.  Prior to this the Parish Council would arrange a leaflet drop to publicise this around the whole village.  Information on the project so far will be made available on the village website and if parishioners do not have internet access, paper copies will be available on request to a Parish Councillor.

 

 

 

 

042.3/18

A series of questions and answers were raised as follows:

 

 

 

 

 

Question: is the land identified in the PC letter of 24 April and marked in blue the area which the Council is still interested in

 

 

Answer: Yes

 

 

Question: have you bought it

 

 

Answer: no we have not bought it, we have not had it formally offered for sale yet and the MDC funding agreement has not been signed by either party

 

 

Question: Does it have to be land

 

 

Answer:  yes it is for an open space

 

 

Question: is the money available for the benefit of the whole village

 

 

Answer: yes, definitely.  There will be an Open and Public meeting which will involve the whole village but we recognise that the land is closest to parishioners in the “Hedgerows”.

 

 

Question: Communication has been poor, recommend to the Council that they find an approach that meets all possibilities

 

 

Answer: Communication is challenging and the Parish Council can only apologise that this has not been as good as it should have been.  However there are two noticeboards which always have the minutes and agenda of the meetings, and information is available on the village website.  If there is anything else that the Council can do to provide information then please let us know.

 

 

Question: the Parish Council should represent the view of the many and it would mean that engagement would be better with the village as a whole.  We feel we have not been given the opportunity to sit down and discuss it and there is a feeling of mistrust which arose.  What about considering additional play equipment for the children of the village?

 

 

Answer: the space is large and any excess could support other uses as well as the allotments, within S106 Open space guidelines.  It could be that only about a quarter of the field is used for allotments.  However the Parish Council does have an obligation to provide allotments if people ask for them and would need to find a suitable space for them.  There is no need for planning permission to be granted for the provision of allotments.

 

 

Question: What is your agenda for the Open Meeting

 

 

Answer: firstly a presentation on all the information that we have so far.  It is an Open Public meeting and people can raise any matters and we can work with them.  The meeting will need to agree the process of decision making and then the idea would be to come out of the meeting having identified the key actions and with an Action Plan to take forward

 

 

Question: What happens if there is a consensus of parishioners who do not want allotments,

 

 

Answer: it is not a referendum, the Parish Council represent the whole village the best way we can and we have to consider all the options

 

 

Question: if a group of people come up with an alternative use for that field would you consider it

 

 

Answer yes we would consider it

 

 

Question: what about the present allotments behind Bellfield

 

 

Answer: the landowner will not sell.  If the Parish Council own the land then we can control it and an appropriate committee will be put in place.  We can also provide protection so that housing cannot be built on it in the future.

 

 

 

 

042.2/18

It was agreed that CC would draft the leaflet and put together the pre-meeting information on the website and as paper copies if required.  The leaflet drop will be done before the end of the month.  The Clerk will obtain the paper and carry out the printing and deliver the copies to CC.

 

 

Clerk

CC

 

 

 

042.3/18

The members of the general public left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

043/18

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

043.1/18

PCSO – DS attended the PACT meeting.

 

 

 

 

043.2/18

Footpaths – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

043.3/18

Village Rangers – the rangers have cleared away the ivy on the lower wall in the churchyard.  One of the rangers has cleared the brambles on the pavement between the bus stop and Sparkes Farm.

 

 

 

 

043.4/18

Highways – the refurbishment of the junction at Mary’s Grave is complete.  Townsend Lane will be closed for two days from 8 October.

 

 

 

 

043.5/18

Recreation Field – the Clerk stated that she had details of a youth football team who are looking for somewhere to play.  She has passed the information to the Chair of the Recreation Field Management Committee

 

 

 

 

043.6/18

Memorial Hall – the water damage on the ceiling is more serious than at first thought.  The AGM will take place on 5 November at 7.30 p.m.

 

 

 

 

043.7/18

School – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

043.8/18

SALC – in correspondence

 

 

 

 

043.9/18

Quarry – it was noted that a complaint was raised four weeks ago about noise which had been referred to SCC who had sent out the appropriate vibration readings

 

 

 

 

 

044/18

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

044.1/18

 No bulletin available in August

 

 

 

 

045/18

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

·                     PACT Meeting 11 September (DS)

 

 

·                     Parish Forum 19 July (DS)

 

 

 

 

046/18

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  SALC require details of the SALC representative on the Council.  The Clerk is the contact

 

 

·                  SALC training available on Local Council Finance Explained (3 October), Councillor Essentials (11 October), Being a Successful Chairman (18 October) and Planning for the Future of Your Community (1 November).  It was noted that Councillor Essentials training is available at other locations and if the Council is interested in hosting a training session we are to let SALC know.  This can cover just one Council or several local Councils.

 

 

 

 

047/18

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

047.1/18

The next meeting will take place on Monday 15 October 2018 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.