MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 15 OCTOBER 2018 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

 

In attendance

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

0048/18

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

0048.1/18

Apologies were received from Vicki Trundle (VT), Simon Wolf (SW),  and Philip Ham (PH) District and County Councillor

 

 

 

 

0049/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0049.1/18

There were no declarations of interest or dispensation and no requests for recording. DM & PF are members of the Parochial Church Council (PCC) and did not vote when the PCC grant was decided.

 

 

 

 

0050/18

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17 SEPTEMBER 2018

 

 

 

 

0050.1/18

The minutes of the meeting held on 17 September 2018 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

0051/18

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 17 SEPTEMBER 2018

 

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – PF gave her mandate form to the Clerk.  The Clerk will arrange for the overall mandate form to be signed and then take all forms to Nat West Bank - ongoing.   

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

106/17

Dog Waste Problem

 

 

·                     The dog waste bin has not yet arrived – Clerk to chase

Clerk

 

 

 

132.3/17

End of financial year actions:

·                     Risk Assessment and Assets changes outstanding:

o    Change 10. “Election Costs” from M/L to Low. Clerk has updated the Risk Assessment and will distribute to Councillors

o   Data Protection risk should be reviewed following briefing by the Clerk

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath – AT had asked a contact at MDC to see if they could assist in ascertaining the ownership of The Drang or suggest a way of finding out - ongoing

 

 

CC

 

 

 

145.1.2/17

Quarry – the Quarry Liaison meeting has now been scheduled for 18 October - complete 

 

 

 

 

151/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION

 

 

 

 

151.3/17

VT to confirm offer in writing/email – delayed until after the Open Meeting

VT

 

 

 

151.5/17

Actions – delayed until after the Open meeting

 

 

·                   VT to check whether the size of the land is 1.25 or 1.5 acres – on hold

VT

 

·                     VT to check and copy the land search – on hold

VT

 

 

 

APCM2/18

GDPR – the Clerk had prepared a briefing for the Council together with some templates of a privacy notice and consent form.  She will brief the Parish Council at a later meeting and make arrangements to attend the Recreation Field Management Committee and the Memorial Hall Committee meeting to brief them.  A data log is to be commenced.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

APCM3/18

Downhead Finger Post – DS reported that two parishioners had come forward and will assess the damage with a view to seeing if they can fix it.  DS will chase to find out if any progress has been made – ongoing.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

020.3/18

Old Wells Road scheme –still ongoing

PH

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - The Clerk reported on some problems in the Cemetery where a metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk had written to the family involved – ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

026.5/18

Recreation Field salt bin – a bin has been purchased – complete

 

 

 

 

037.1.1/18

Planning – Prior approval of proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwelling house (use Class C3) and for associated operational development at Old Wells Road, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

037.1.2/18

The above application had been discussed at the previous meeting and whilst not consulted directly the Council had made comments which had been passed to MDC with the intention that they should be logged as on the website.  However these comments do not appear against the application despite the fact that the Clerk has submitted them with a request that they should be included.  It was agreed that the public should have the opportunity to view any comments made by the Parish Council.  AT agreed to investigate further.  It was agreed that the Parish Council would always review any new planning application in the parish whether consulted officially or not.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

038.2/18

Annual Accounts – the Clerk will send copies of the income and expenditure, Governance statement and statement of assets to CC to add to the website.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

039.1/18

Cemetery/Churchyard – CC reported that he had made contact with the contractor about the third cut of the yew trees but had heard nothing yet.  The company who now have the contract is called idverde.  The Clerk will contact MDC on behalf of the PCC about trimming various shrubs within the churchyard.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

039.2/18

It was agreed that the Clerk will laminate a copy of the Rules and Regulations for the cemetery and CC will arrange to put them up.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

042.2/18

Arrangements for Open Space meeting - CC had prepared the leaflet and the Clerk had obtained the paper, carried out the printing and delivered the copies to CC. – complete

 

 

 

 

 

052/18

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

052.1/18

AT – District Councillor

 

 

 

 

 

·                  North Wootton – dwelling approved outside development limits.  Considered that the benefits to release affordable housing in the village outweighed the normal restrictions.

 

 

·                  Planning seminar on 1 October introduced by Rachel Tadman now in charge of East Mendip Planning team.  It is proposed to issue a planning template to help focus on the issues to consider when reviewing planning applications.  AT will see if he can find a draft to comment on – good topic for the Parish Forum

 

 

 

 

AT

 

·                  Nina Richards commented that since 2010 MDC have delivered 1093 affordable houses

 

 

·                  Introduced Andrew Sestini as Senior Planning Policy Officer.  Somerset may have to increase its house building by up to 40% to meet new Government targets.  The idea is to focus new developments in key regions to make sure average house prices in the area compare to the average salary in the area. 

 

 

·                  Update on Local Plan II in a couple of weeks’ time.  Final draft has been completed.  Document to be given formal endorsement by Cabinet Planning Inspector by December. 

 

 

 

 

052.2/18

Local Issues

 

 

 

 

052.2.1/18

Post Office in Coleford is at The Hub on Mondays and Wednesdays.  PH and AT had a meeting with a representative for the new Co-op development and the plans include a new permanent Post Office, the timescale for the development is about one year.

 

 

 

 

052.2.2/18

Travellers at Park Corner – (Mells Parish) it seems that new caravans have appeared.  AT will raise the issue.  DS reported that the Quarry Manager had previously stopped the erection of a polytunnel on the site.

 

 

AT

 

 

 

053/18

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

053.1/18

2018/1491/LBC Replace two external doors to the front of the property with identical style and colour doors, with the addition of slim line/conservation double glazing.  Replace one modern window to the front of the property with an identical style and colour window with the addition of slim line/conservation double glazing.  Replace two modern windows to the rear of the property with identical style and colour windows with the addition of slim line/conservation double glazing.  Replace metal framed window on front elevation with a single glazed wooden frame window at Manor Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mrs Vicki Trundle.

 

 

 

 

053.1.1/18

The above listed building planning application was discussed.  After discussion it was proposed by VGT, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to leave the decision to the Planning Officer.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

053.2/18

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry by the extraction of limestone, replacement of existing asphalt plant with a new asphalt plant and associated facilities, retention of the concrete batching plant and the reopening of the access road to Rookery Farm with relinquishment of the existing permission and extension of end date for the entire quarry and all quarrying activities to 31 December 2044 with restoration to be completed by December 2046 at Halecombe Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

053.2.1/18

CC reported that he had discussed this application with PH and it was noted that most of the documents are the same as for the previous application.  One of the issues is around the aquifers and BANES Council have become involved.  Whatley Quarry have planning permission to go down to sea level but they are not down at that depth yet.  The Halecombe application goes to about 10 metres above sea level but at the moment they are at 68 metres.  BANES Council were not keen for two quarries in the same area to be deepening as it meant if there was a problem it would not be apparent which one was causing it.  Whatley has approval to go to sea level but SCC are considering the Halecombe application.   

 

 

 

 

053.2.2/18

It was noted that approval of the application will mean that the Tarmac plant can be moved and quarrying take place in its present location. 

 

 

 

 

053.2.3/18

PF reported that she had a conversation with a local landowner regarding his concerns over the spring at White Hole Hill.  Another local landowner has also expressed concerns about the amount of dust emanating from the quarry and the fact that the stream often turns white.

 

 

 

 

053.2.4/18

The Quarry Liaison meeting will be held on Thursday 18 October which DS will attend, unfortunately CC is not available.  Any volunteers willing to accompany DS were ask to inform CC.

 

 

 

 

053.2.5/18

DS pointed out that the village has vibration sensors which none of the other villages have and the Parish Council letter should include this fact.

 

 

 

 

053.2.6/18

CC stated that the SCC Planning Board is on 8 November and the agenda will include this application.  DS stated that he has been invited to attend this meeting by Tarmac as a sympathetic neighbour and private citizen.  He asked if the Council wished him to represent the PC and it was agreed that he should attend both as a citizen but also a representative of the PC. 

 

 

 

 

053.2.7/18

 

 

 

 

053.2.8/18

CC proposed that the Council repeats the letter which had been sent before on the understanding that the planning application is fundamentally unchanged and will add a bit more on the local community fund and vibration sensors and will reiterate the ban on quarry lorries using the village street.  This was seconded by DM and agreed unanimously. 

CC will draft the amended letter and send out for any further comments. 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

053.3/18

CURRENT APPLICATIONS AND PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

 

 

053.3.1/18

2018/2039/FUL Proposed construction of a manege at Tweed Farm, The Green, Coleford - approved

 

 

 

 

053.3.2/18

2018/2186/HSE Retrospective application for the creation of a Juliet balcony and driveway piers and gate – 1 Apple Meadow View, Park Hayes, Leigh-on- Mendip - pending

 

 

 

 

053.3.3/18

2018/1648/APP Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 5 (hard and soft landscaping) n planning consent 2014/276-/FUL Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip – approved but planting not done yet.  Hedge to be replaced and planting expected before Christmas

 

 

 

 

054/18

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

054.1/18

The financial statement as at 15.10.18 was approved. 

 

 

 

 

054.2/18

Grant for PCC

 

 

 

 

054.2.1/18

DM updated the Council on the current financial situation of the PCC.  It was noted that repairs to the lightning conductor are urgently required and will cost £489.00 plus VAT (£586.80).  These repairs need to be done otherwise the insurance becomes null and void. 

 

 

 

 

054.2.2/18

DM & PF took no part in the following discussion as they are members of the Parochial Church Council (PCC).

 

 

 

 

054.2.3/18

A discussion took place and it was noted that the amount in the budget for the PCC was intended to be for match funding for the roof whereas this request is for maintenance. It was considered that, in effect, this grant was to replace the match funding already paid by the PCC. The grant could therefore be justified to be taken from the “PCC match funding” budget as agreed to support the heritage repairs. VGT proposed that the Council should support the request on the basis that the money would come from currently allocated funding for the church.   However it was noted that the Council do have to take a view on how much funding is being provided to the church in terms of how many parishioners would support this.  DS seconded and this was agreed unanimously.

 

 

 

 

054.2.4/18

The Clerk will speak to the PCC Treasurer regarding the question of VAT and whether the cheque should include it or not.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

054.3/18

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

·                      C. Cudmore – purchase of salt bin £15.95

 

 

·                     R Blunden – internal audit £30.00

 

 

·                     HMRC – July/Aug/Sept £43.40

 

 

·                     Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary Sept plus Annual Newsletter paper purchased £224.97

 

 

·                     SALC – GDPR training - £25.00

 

 

·                     PCC of Postlebury – photocopying Annual Newsletter leaflets £50.00

 

 

·                     PCC of Leigh-on-Mendip with Downhead – grant for work on lightning conductor at St Giles’ church £586.80 (VAT to be confirmed)

 

 

 

 

055/18

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

055.1/18

The Clerk reported that the grass cutting has been done and the churchyard and cemetery now look much tidier

 

 

 

 

055.2/18

New Cemetery – in the spring the area will be rotavated and seeded.  It was agreed to ask for a quotation for this work from the current grass cutting contractor.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

055.3/18

It was suggested that a board edging should be made along on the edge of the footpath on the Drang.  However it was agreed that this would be a trip hazard and the work will be left until the spring.

 

 

 

 

055.4/18

Boundary Fence – it was noted that the south boundary fence is collapsing and contact needs to be made with the owner.  DM will investigate.

 

DM

 

 

 

056/18

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

056.1/18

Some of the policies had been reviewed with others to follow.  Results of those reviews already undertaken were as follows.

 

 

 

 

 

Code of Conduct – DM – no change

 

 

Complaints Procedure – VT – ongoing

VT

 

Data Protection Information – SW – to be updated in line with GDPR

Clerk

 

Retention Policy – CC – no change, clerk to investigate actions

Clerk

 

Equality and Diversity – PF – no change

 

 

Financial Regulations – CC – looked at latest SALC version – to be updated - ongoing

 

CC

 

Freedom of Information Policy – VT - ongoing

VT

 

Freedom of Information Publication Scheme – DM – suggested increasing cost of photocopying from 10p to 15p otherwise no other changes

 

 

Grievance Policy – SW - ongoing

SW

 

Health and Safety Policy – PF – should have health and safety as a standard item on the agenda and it should be regularly discussed.  PF will draft something on lone working - ongoing

 

 

PF

 

Recording of meetings – VGT - ongoing

VGT

 

Recruitment Policy – VGT - ongoing

VGT

 

Standing Orders – DS - ongoing

DS

 

 

 

056.2/18

Additionally to this the Parish Plan action plan will be considered by CC and any amendments brought to the next meeting for discussion.

 

CC

 

 

 

057/18

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

057.1/18

PCSO – CC reported that the person who owns the field behind the cottages on Townsend / Pitten Street corner is clay pigeon shooting.  CC has spoken to them and it was noted that shooting is likely to only take place on Fridays and for a maximum of 28 days in any one year.  The people involved will email CC when they will be shooting and he will in turn email out to the Townsend Neighbourhood Watch Scheme Members. 

DS went to the recent PACT meeting and stated that Parish Councils are being asked to host PACT meetings who have no funding of their own.  It was agreed to offer to host at some point.

 

 

 

 

057.2/18

Footpaths – VGT reported that the footpath going out from Pitten House across the field has been ploughed up.  DS will pass this into Clare Haskins at SCC.  The official way to report problems is via the SCC Rights of Way website. This is not being updated regularly and CC has reported incidents which have already been dealt which are still open on the website.

 

 

 

 

057.3/18

Village Rangers – brambles have been cleared by Sparks Farm and by the bus stop.  Ham Hill finger post (last signpost in the parish) – DS had a word with the local farmer about straightening it.

 

 

 

 

057.4/18

Highways – CC had reported to Highways the drops each side of the road by Hornbeam Lane.

 

 

 

 

057.5/18

Recreation Field – SW informed them of the arrangements for the Open Space Meeting. 

 

 

 

 

057.6/18

Memorial Hall – damaged ceiling is more serious than at first thought.  AGM will take place on 5 November.  Special thanks were given to Gill Baker for planting and maintain the tubs at the front of the building.

 

 

 

 

057.7/18

School – it was reported that the school has been accepted into the Midsomer Norton Schools Partnership with proposed conversion date of 1 November 2018.  The school will be looking to pursue Primary School status which will mean that children would stay for a further two years and then transfer directly to senior school rather than switch to a middle school which is the case at present.

 

 

 

 

057.8/18

SALC – in correspondence

 

 

 

 

057.9/18

Quarry – As previously

 

 

 

 

058/18

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

058.1/18

 Financial assistance to improve homes in Mendip now available.  Contact either MDC or Somerset Direct for disabled facilities grants.  Shepton Area Men’s Shed now open every Tuesday (9-12.00 p.m.) and Thursday (2.00 to 5.00 p.m.).  CC to put a link on the village website to MDC

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

059/18

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Halecombe Liaison Meeting 18 October 10.00 a.m.(DS)

·                     Parish Forum 18 October 6.30 p.m. (DS)

·                     Open Space Meeting 24 October 7.00 p.m.

 

 

 

 

060/18

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  SALC All Areas meeting 27 October 10.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. at Somerton

 

 

·                  SALC Evening talk by Martock Parish Council at The Swan, Wedmore on 22 October.

 

 

·                  SALC Improving Health & Wellbeing in your Community

 

 

·                  SALC Councillor Essentials Training, Nunney, 12 October at 7.00 p.m.  Any Councillors wishing to attend to inform the Clerk

 

ALL

 

·                  VGT – request from a parishioner to use the telephone box as a book exchange.  The parishioner is happy to manage it and have shelves put in.  There is already a book exchange in the hall but obviously this is only available when the hall is open.  It was agreed that VGT would speak to the parishioner who checks the box on a regular basis.  The Parish Council had no objection to this offer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

061/18

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

061.1/18

The next meeting will take place on Monday 19 November 2018 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.