MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 17 DECEMBER 2018 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Dave Mattick (Vice-Chairman)

DM

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

0078/18

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

0078.1/18

Apologies were received from Chris Cudmore, Chairman and Parish Councillor (CC) and Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT).  In the absence of the Chairman the Vice-Chairman took the Chair.

 

 

 

 

0079/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0079.1/18

VT and DM declared an interest in discussions around purchase of the land for the Open Space project.  There were no requests for recording.

 

DM read out the following statement

 

A formal complaint has been raised that during the recent Open Space public meeting I was “rude, arrogant and downright offensive” to an extent that the complainant considered “bullying and that this aggressive behaviour had negatively affected many parishioners’ confidence in the council’s impartiality and ability to govern”.  As such I have decided to declare an interest and take no further part in discussions or decisions about the Open Space Project at least until Mendip District Council has addressed the matter.

 

DM/PF declared an interest in any discussions regarding grants for the Church and would abstain from voting if a vote was held.

 

 

 

 

0080/18

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19 NOVEMBER 2018

 

 

 

 

0080.1/18

The minutes of the meeting held on 19 November 2018 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Vice-Chairman.

 

 

 

 

0081/18

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 19 NOVEMBER 2018

 

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – The mandate form was signed.  The Clerk will take all forms to Nat West Bank for registration - ongoing   

Clerk

 

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath – AT spoke to David Clark at Mendip District Council who provided a link to the Land Registry.  The suggestion there was to ask neighbours to check deeds and covenants which CC will do.  He will also ask the heritage group  Assuming no owner can be found CC will contact the Land Registry and claim the land - ongoing

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

151.5/17

Open Space project - VT to check and copy the land search - ongoing

VT

 

 

 

APCM2/18

GDPR – the Clerk had prepared a briefing for the Council together with some templates of a privacy notice and consent form.  She will brief the Parish Council at a later meeting and make arrangements to attend the Recreation Field Management Committee and the Memorial Hall Committee meeting to brief them.  A data log is to be commenced - ongoing

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

APCM3/18

Downhead Finger Post – DS is coordinating various local volunteers to move the fingerpost so that a new spigot can be made – ongoing.

 

DS

 

 

 

020.3/18

Old Wells Road scheme –still ongoing

PH

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - The Clerk reported on some problems in the Cemetery where a metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk had written to the family involved – ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

037.1.1/18

Planning – Prior approval of proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwelling house (use Class C3) and for associated operational development at Old Wells Road, Leigh-on-Mendip - AT had reported that although the Parish Council comments were not recorded on the planning website they were referred to in the Planning Officers report – complete

 

 

 

 

038.2/18

Annual Accounts – the Clerk will send copies of the income and expenditure, Governance statement and statement of assets to CC to add to the website - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

039.1/18

Cemetery/Churchyard – yew tree cutting – still awaiting the report from MDC/Idverde - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

039.2/18

It was agreed that the Clerk will laminate a copy of the Rules and Regulations for the cemetery and CC will arrange to put them up- ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

055.2/18

New Cemetery – in the spring the area will be rotavated and seeded.  It was agreed to ask for a quotation for this work from the current grass cutting contractor - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

055.4/18

Boundary Fence (New Cemetery) – it was noted that the south boundary fence is collapsing and contact needs to be made with the owner.  PF will speak to the relatives of the property owner - ongoing

 

PF

 

 

 

068.2/18

Budget preparation – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

070/18

Review of Policies – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

070.2/18

Parish Plan – this had been reviewed by CC and an updated copy distributed to Councillors with additions which included the following:

 

 

·                  Beat Surgeries to be held in the Church Tower Room by PCSO

 

 

·                  PCSO to be asked to increase neighbourhood watch coverage

 

 

·                  Major repairs to fingerpost at Downhead/Old Wells crossroads in progress

 

 

·                  The Parish Council will be asked to comment on any future Local Plan consultations (Part 2 due in 2019)

 

 

·                  Kerbside collections proposed to collect all plastics within the next two years.  Individual responsibility to minimise use of plastic packaging

 

 

·                  A local ‘Speedwatch’ scheme is to be considered if there is enough support (volunteers)

 

 

·                  Create an enhanced children’s play area once the adjacent Open Space has been purchased

 

 

·                  Consider developing a cycle link to ‘Colliers Way’ via Halecombe quarry and bridleway to Mells.

 

 

·                  Open Space field to be purchased to enable various community activities.  Initially to include allotments, then children’s play area.  Other ideas include adult exercise equipment, dog exercise area, and community orchard/garden.

 

 

 

 

 

The revised plan was approved unanimously.

 

 

 

 

071.20.18

Open Space Project - VGT had delivered the paperwork to MDC who had confirmed receipt - complete

 

 

 

 

071.21/18

Open Space Project –VGT will send a copy of the letter offering the land to the Clerk for response

Clerk

VGT

 

 

 

071.22/18

Open Space Project – Parish Council to discuss with Recreation Field Management Committee.  VGT reported that a meeting had taken place with the Recreation Field Management Committee.  They felt that they wanted to discuss further with their Committee extension of their lease to cover the Open Space and the allotment area and they will come back to the Parish Council when this has been done. 

 

 

 

 

071.22/18

Open Space Project – engagement of solicitors.  VGT reported that she had received quotes from two solicitors and was awaiting response from a third. 

 

 

 

 

072.3/18

Leigh-on-Mendip School - SW had responded to the letter from the Midsomer Norton Schools Partnership seeking the Parish Council’s view on the intention to become a primary school by designation and increase the age range from 2 – 8 to 2 – 11 - complete

 

 

 

 

072.3/18

Footpaths – a ramp had been reported in the footpath by Thrice Barn.  DS has investigated and spoken to a parishioner - complete

 

 

 

 

073.4/18

Highways – contents of salts bins need loosening up.  DS asked for permission to purchase four coal shovels at £5 each to place in the salt bins.  This was agreed - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

082/18

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

082.1/18

AT – had submitted a report

 

 

 

 

 

·                  KeyRing Letting Agency – trying to find more landlords and properties for rent at the lower end of the market.

 

 

·                  Planning Board – approved a number of applications for dwellings in the open countryside.

 

 

·                  November Cabinet – endorsed the final version of the Local Plan Part 2 prior to presentation to full council on 17 December.

 

 

·                  Licensing Board – considered the consultation for increased taxi fares.  Agreement was reached that a 7% increase was appropriate the first since 2012 with no change to the premiums for unsocial hours.

 

 

 

 

083/18

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

083.1/18

2018/3004/VRC Application to vary condition 2 (drawing numbers) and 3 (external facing materials) of planning approval 2017/3053/FUL (Conversion of an agricultural building to dwelling including biomass boilet, fuel store, wood burners and solar panels on land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottage, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip BA3 5QU

 

 

 

 

083.1.1/18

The application was discussed and it was noted that there were no published documents to consider.  It was agreed that the Clerk would write to the Planning Officer asking for clarification on the change of external facing materials and querying why document were not available.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

083.2/18

2018/2885/HSE Proposed two storey side extension and single storey rear extension at Sugar Bush Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip BA3 5QQ

 

 

 

 

083.1.2/18

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by SW, seconded DS and agreed unanimously to recommend approval as this was a small scale extension with no significant impact.  The Clerk will inform MDC

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

083.3/18

2018/2806/VRC Application vary condition 4 hard and soft landscaping scheme on planning permission 2018/0659/VRC to erect fencing (retrospective).  Retention of erected fence for protection of new mixed species hedge from neighbouring Leylandii hedge.  To allow all works on site to be completed safely and for the longevity of the approved planning.  At Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip BA3 5QT

 

 

 

 

083.3.1/18

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by VGT and agreed unanimously to let the Planning Officer make the final decision.  The Clerk will inform MDC

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

083.4/18

2018/2779/HSE Resiting of existing driveway, piers and ages at 1 Apple Meadow View, Park Hayes, Leigh-on-Mendip BA3 5GP

 

 

 

 

 

 

083.4.1/18

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by VT, seconded by PF and agreed unanimously to let the Planning Officer make the final decision.  The Clerk will inform MDC

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

083.5/18

2018/2778/HSE Erection of a Juliet Balcony (retrospective) at 1 Apple Meadow View, Park Hayes, Leigh-on-Mendip BA3 5GP

 

 

 

 

083.5.1/18

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by SW, seconded by VGT and agreed unanimously to let the Planning Officer make the final decision.  The Clerk will inform MDC

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

083.6/18

CURRENT APPLICATIONS AND PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

 

 

083.6.1/18

2018/2524/FUL Construction of a replacement outbuilding at Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr N Hiscox - pending

 

 

 

 

083.6.1/18

2018/2457/HSE demolition and rebuild of garage, proposed single storey rear extension and loft conversion/roof works by Ben My Chree, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Ian Scovell - pending

 

 

 

 

084/18

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

084.1/18

The financial statement as at 17.12.18 was approved.           

 

 

 

 

084.2/18

Budget Preparation

 

 

 

 

084.2.1/18

The draft budget was discussed and the following points were noted

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Precept - it was generally felt that the precept should be increased.  It was noted that there are various risks to take into consideration including the New Cemetery and in particular the fence at the southern end.  VGT suggested that the election should also be considered in terms of risk.

 

 

·                  Administration expenses – look fine

 

 

·                  Grass Cutting for Recreation Field £800 plus £5,000 allocated for play equipment

 

 

·                  Toddlers – have asked for a work bench which will cost approximately £100.  It was agreed to provide a grant for this which will be purchased via the school.  DS stated that this sort of grant will eventually come out of the Quarry Community Fund

 

 

·                  Footpaths - £200

 

 

·                  Grass cutting (church and Rec Field) – AB getting quotes

Clerk

 

·                  Landscaping of new cemetery – AB to get a quote

Clerk

 

·                  Community Open Space – VGT stated that a shed for use of the allotment holders would be an expensive item and suggested a sum of approximately £500.  However it was generally felt that a sum of nearer £3,000 would be more accurate.  There is also the possibility of planning permission to consider.  It was agreed to ask CC to put a sum of £3,000 in the budget.

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

084.3/18

Grant for School

 

 

 

 

 

084.3.1/18

The school have formally requested a sum of £450 towards the purchase of a new picnic table.  This was agreed. SW will inform the school.

 

SW

 

 

 

084.4/18

Grant for Church

 

 

 

 

084.4.1/18

 DM reported that the budget for the Toilet and Flower Arranging Facility originally included a heater but because of restrictions on the budget it had not been possible to purchase this.  The PCC would like to purchase an oil filled heater with a 7 day timer.  This would cost £350 and there is £230 left in the budget for this year which could be put towards this heater.

 

 

 

 

 

 

084.4.2/18

The next big project is the West Door where the intention is to install insulation and draft proofing.  The architect has also designed a modular system so that eventually this area can be used as a children’s library and information hub.  The whole cost is approximately £6,000 and various grants are being bid for.  However the PCC has asked if the Parish Council would allocate a sum of £1,250 in next year’s budget to match fund so that the job can be complete by next winter.  This request was discussed and it was agreed that the Tower Room is now being used quite regularly for coffee and meetings.

 

 

 

 

084.4.3/18

It was agreed that £230 should be made available to the PCC from this year’s budget for purchase of the heater.  Cheque to be issued at the next meeting.  It was further agreed to budget a sum of £1,250 for next year to go towards the West Door project. 

 

 

Clerk

CC

 

 

 

084.5/18

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

·                     Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary October £218.42

 

 

·                     Mr J Gale – churchyard grass cutting - £180.00

 

 

·                     Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall -  Meeting room booking – 11 x 12 months £154.00

 

 

 

 

085/18

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

085.1/18

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

086/18

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

086.1/18

Some of the policies had been reviewed with others to follow.  Results of those reviews already undertaken were as follows.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Complaints Procedure – VT – ongoing

VT

 

·                     Data Protection Information – SW – to be updated in line with GDPR

Clerk

 

·                     Retention Policy – CC – no change, clerk to investigate actions

Clerk

 

·                     Financial Regulations – CC – looked at latest SALC version – to be updated - ongoing

 

CC

 

·                     Freedom of Information Policy – VT - ongoing

VT

 

·                     Freedom of Information Publication Scheme – DM – suggested increasing cost of photocopying from 10p to 15p otherwise no other changes

 

 

·                     Grievance Policy – SW – to be based on SALC policy and to be sent round before the next meeting - ongoing

SW

 

·                     Health and Safety Policy – PF – should have health and safety as a standard item on the agenda and it should be regularly discussed.  PF will draft something on lone working - ongoing

 

 

PF

 

·                     Standing Orders – DS – Clerk to update – minor changes - ongoing

Clerk

 

 

 

087/18

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

087.1/18

VT and DM took no part in this section of the meeting

 

 

 

 

087.2/18

VGT gave an update on progress and stated that information had been placed on Facebook and in the magazine about the allotments.  Two additional people had come forward who are interested in having an allotment which makes ten in all. 

 

 

 

 

087.3/18

A member of the public from the Hedgerows had enquired about leading the group in terms of managing the allotment project.  VGT had responded and stated that the Parish Council would be leading the Steering Group until such time as the Allotment Association is established.  Another member of the public from the Hedgerows had also indicated an interest in becoming part of the steering group

 

 

 

 

087.4/18

Steering Group – the representation on the Steering Group was discussed and it was proposed and agreed that it should be as follows

 

·                     Two members of the Parish Council

·                     Two members of the public from the Hedgerows or members of the public with land bordering the Open Space area

·                     One member of the Recreation Field Management Committee

·                     Three potential allotment holders

 

It was further agreed that this should be the initial start-up representation which will be reviewed between 6 and 12 months after the first meeting.  At some point the group would cease to be a Steering Group and become the Allotment Association.

 

 

 

 

087.5/18

It was also proposed and agreed unanimously that there would be a set of rules established to cover the management and voting structure.  These rules will be reviewed annually.  The Steering Group would need also to have a formal Code of Conduct. 

 

 

 

 

087.6/18

VGT reported that three solicitors have been approached and two have responded so far.

 

 

 

 

087.7/18

Fence – the fence between VT’s land and that of the Open Space needs to be done professionally and the Clerk will ask the current churchyard contractor if he would like to quote for this. 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

087.8/18

Meetings – VGT stated that a walk around the Open Space area would take place on 6 January with the first meeting of the Steering Group being held on 7 January. 

 

 

 

 

 

088/18

QUARRY S106 FUNDING

 

 

 

 

088.1/18

DS gave an update.  DS and CC had met with PH and Tarmac on 4 December to agree the points raised on the draft S106, mainly concerning the HGV routing, Long Term Management Scheme/Fund and the Community Fund.  It was agreed that instead of Leigh-on-Mendip PC having the first option on 70% of the Community Fund it would have two votes whilst the other Parish Councils will have one vote each and the Chairman would have a casting vote.  The Committee will meet twice a year to consider submissions for funding with appropriate arguments and costings.  After agreement to fund there is a period of six months in which the money can be spent.  The committee have discretion to extend that time if the project over-runs.  The Community fund will be worth around £14,000 per year.

 

 

 

 

088.2/18

Tarmac will allocate 2p per tonne extracted from the quarry and this will be index linked to the aggregates index. The money will be held in trust by the County Council.  CC had questioned the use of the word ‘Trust’ and asked if the money was protected if anything happened to the CC.  SCC will write to the Parish Council to confirm that this money will be protected and provide us the financial regulations underpinning this.

 

 

 

 

088.3/18

Tarmac have also indicated that they will provide funds as in previous years for the Leigh-on-Mendip Village Fair and the school

 

 

 

 

088.4/18

DS stated that there are several other points which were agreed which did not get included in the latest draft S106 and CC has replied to SCC asking for the document to be updated accordingly. 

 

 

 

 

088.5/18

LTMF – this will be 1p per tonne index linked to the RPI and was commenced in 2002.  CC had proposed that the Community Fund should be authorised to top up the LTMF. This was not well received but we continue to push this point.  Extraction is calculated as being 7,000,000 tonnes at 1p per tonne equals £70,000. 

 

 

 

 

088.6/18

Lorry Routing – it was agreed at the meeting that lorries will be kept away from Lime Kiln Road but this has not been put in the text. 

 

 

 

 

088.7/18

DS stated that consideration should be given now to possible bids to the Community fund which is likely to be backdated to the beginning of last year.

 

 

 

 

089/18

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

089.1/18

PCSO – DS stated that a PACT meeting will be held at Leigh-on-Mendip sometime in 2019.  Beat Surgeries are to take place in the Church Tower Room starting in the New Year.

 

 

 

 

089.2/18

Footpaths – Parish Paths Consultation which DS is dealing with

 

 

 

 

089.3/18

Village Rangers – have completed the following work

 

 

·                  Checked salt bins. 

 

 

·                  Tidied church steps and the path ready for the Christmas Tree Festival

 

 

·                  Agreed that Rangers should receive chocolates up to a cost of £30.  DS to organise

 

DS

 

 

 

089.4/18

Highways – some fly tipping opposite Barnclose.  Seven large HGV’s are to be parked in the workshop area.

 

 

 

 

089.5/18

Recreation Field – there was an issue about whether the meadow had been cut in time but this has been resolved.  Wreath making weekend was successful.

 

 

 

 

089.6/18

Memorial Hall – ongoing issue with the roof

 

 

 

 

089.7/18

School – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

089.8/18

SALC – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

089.9/18

Quarry – nothing further.

 

 

 

 

090/18

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

090.1/18

Nothing to note

 

 

 

 

091/18

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

091.1/18

·                     Parish Forum – 17 January

 

 

 

 

092/18

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

092.1/18

The Clerk had received the following

 

 

 

 

 

·                  NALC – The Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications (No 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 – the purpose is to improve the accessibility of public sector websites/mobile apps so that they can be used by as many people as possible building on the obligations to disabled people under the Equality Act 2010 and the duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people.  CC and SW will look into this

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC/SW

 

·                  Notice from MDC regarding Notice of Election – Clerk to send copy to Councillors.  For agenda at the next meeting.

 

Clerk

 

·                  Letter from SCC – provision of roadside grit/salt 2018/19.  Reinstatement of provision of roadside salt for this winter.

 

 

 

 

093/18

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

093.1/18

The next meeting will take place on Monday 21 January 2019 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.