MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 21 JANUARY 2019 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

David Pattison (DP) and Vicki Higgins (VH) from the Recreation Field Management Committee for item 9 only plus two potential allotment holders for the same item.

 

 

 

ACTIONS

0094/18

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

0094.1/18

Apologies were received from Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT). 

 

 

 

 

0094/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0094.1/18

VT declared an interest in discussions around purchase of the land for the Open Space project.  There were no requests for recording.

 

DM/PF declared an interest in any discussions regarding grants for the Church and would abstain from voting if a vote was held.

 

All Councillors signed a Request for Dispensation to allow the setting of the Parish Precept and budget.

 

 

 

 

0095/18

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17 DECEMBER 2018

 

 

 

 

0095.1/18

The minutes of the meeting held on 17 December 2018 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

0096/18

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 17 DECEMBER 2018

 

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – The mandate form was signed.  The Clerk has taken all forms to Nat West Bank for registration - complete   

 

 

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath –CC to ask neighbours to check deeds and covenants.  He will also ask the heritage group.  Assuming no owner can be found CC will contact the Land Registry and claim the land - ongoing

CC

 

 

 

151.5/17

Open Space project - VT to check and copy the land search - ongoing

VT

 

 

 

APCM2/18

GDPR – the Clerk will send copies of the approved SALC Privacy Notice and Consent Form for consideration.  The Clerk will make arrangements to meet with the Recreation Field Management Committee and the Memorial Hall Committee meeting to brief them- ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

APCM3/18

Downhead Finger Post – DS is coordinating various local volunteers to move the fingerpost so that a new spigot can be made – ongoing.

 

DS

 

 

 

020.3/18

Old Wells Road scheme –still ongoing

PH

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - The Clerk reported on some problems in the Cemetery where a metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk had written to the family involved – ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

038.2/18

Annual Accounts – the Clerk will send copies of the income and expenditure, Governance statement and statement of assets to CC to add to the website - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

039.1/18

Cemetery/Churchyard – yew tree cutting – still awaiting the report from MDC/Idverde - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

039.2/18

Cemetery - It was agreed that the Clerk will laminate a copy of the Rules and Regulations for the cemetery and CC will arrange to put them up- ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

055.2/18

New Cemetery – in the spring the area will be rotavated and seeded.  It was agreed to ask for a quotation for this work from the current grass cutting contractor - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

055.4/18

Boundary Fence (New Cemetery) – it was noted that the south boundary fence is collapsing and contact needs to be made with the owner.  PF will speak to the relatives of the property owner - ongoing

 

PF

 

 

 

071.21/18

Open Space Project –VGT will send a copy of the letter offering the land to the Clerk for response

Clerk

VGT

 

 

 

084.2./18

Grass Cutting – the Clerk has asked for quotes from grass cutting in the churchyard and Recreation Field.  The Recreation Field Management Committee were asked about the timing of the cutting of the flower meadow area and were content with the way in which this was carried out during 2018.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

086/18

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

086.1/18

Some of the policies had been reviewed with others to follow.  Results of those reviews already undertaken were as follows.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Complaints Procedure – VT has redone this policy in line with SALC template and this needs to be sent to the Clerk

VT

 

·                     Data Protection Information – SW – to be updated in line with GDPR

Clerk

 

·                     Retention Policy – CC – no change, clerk to investigate actions and reissue

Clerk

 

·                     Financial Regulations – CC – looked at latest SALC version – to be updated and Clerk to look at actions - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

·                     Freedom of Information Policy – VT has completed this.  Clerk to send VT a word version so that she can update it.

 

Clerk

 

·                     Freedom of Information Publication Scheme – DM – suggested increasing cost of photocopying from 10p to 15p otherwise no other changes – to be updated

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     Grievance Policy – SW – to be based on SALC policy and to be distributed for comment - ongoing

SW

 

·                     Health and Safety Policy – PF – should have health and safety as a standard item on the agenda and it should be regularly discussed.  DM will send PF the PCC Lone Working Policy for reference, agreed that this should be an annex of the Health and Safety Policy.

 

 

 

DM

PF

 

·                     Standing Orders – DS – Clerk to update – minor changes - ongoing

Clerk

 

 

 

087.7/18

Fence – the fence between VT’s land and that of the Open Space needs to be done professionally and the Clerk will ask the current churchyard contractor if he would like to quote for this. 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

089.3.18

Rangers – DS organised chocolates for the Rangers as agreed at the last meeting - complete

 

DS

 

 

 

 

092.1/18

NALC – the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications (No 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 – the purpose is to improve the accessibility of public sector websites/mobile apps so that they can be used by as many people as possible building on the obligations to disabled people under the Equality Act 2010 and the duty to make reasonable adjustments for disable people.  CC and SW to consider

 

 

 

 

 

CC/SW

 

 

 

097/18

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

097.1/18

AT was unable to be present but had pointed out that the new sign had been installed at Soho and the road markings are now awaited.

 

 

 

 

098/18

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

098.1/18

2018/3004/VRC Application to vary condition 2 (drawing numbers) and 3 (external facing materials) of planning approval 2017/3053/FUL (Conversion of an agricultural building to dwelling on land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottage, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip BA3 5QU

 

 

 

 

098.1.1/18

After a discussions it was proposed by CC, seconded by VGT and agreed unanimously to leave the final decision to the Planning Officer.  However the Planning Officer will be asked to consider the Village Design Statement with regard to the increased use of brick rather than stone or cladding for what is formerly an agricultural building.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

098.2/18

2019/3036/HSE Two storey side extension with associated parking and access at 16 Bellfield, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

098.2.1/18

This application was discussed.  It was proposed by VGT, seconded by PF and agreed unanimously to recommend approval pointing out that there are no neighbour issues as the property adjoins a ‘cut through’. The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

098.3/18

CURRENT APPLICATIONS AND PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

 

 

098.3.1/18

2018/2885/HSE Proposed two storey side extension and single storey rear extension at Sugar Bush Cottage BA3 5QQ - approved

 

 

 

 

098.3.2/18

2018/2806/VRC Application vary condition 4 hard and soft landscaping scheme on planning permission 2018/0659/VRC to erect fencing (retrospective).   At Grove Shute Farm, BA3 5QT - withdrawn

 

 

 

 

098.3.3/18

2018/2779/HSE Resiting of existing driveway, piers and gates at 1 Apple Meadow View, Park Hayes, BA3 5GP – pending

 

 

 

 

098.3.4/18

2018/2778/HSE Erection of a Juliet Balcony (retrospective) at 1 Apple Meadow View, Park Hayes BA3 5GP - pending

 

 

 

 

098.3.5/18

2018/2524/FUL Construction of a replacement outbuilding at Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane for Mr N Hiscox - approved

 

 

 

 

098.3.5/18

2018/2457/HSE demolition and rebuild of garage, proposed single storey rear extension and loft conversion/roof works by Ben My Chree, Blackers Lane for Mr Ian Scovell - approved

 

 

 

 

099/18

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

099.1/18

Financial Statement

 

 

 

 

099.1.1/18

The financial statement as at 21.01.19 was approved. It was noted that the Open Space project funding had been received from MDC (£15,572.28).  An additional column will be added to the financial statement to show the usage of these funds.  The annual sum of £2,000 had also been received from the Solar Farm and the Clerk will write a letter of thanks.  The Clerk was also asked to chase NS&I for the annual interest amount.

Clerk

 

 

 

099.2/18

Precept

 

 

 

 

099.2.1/18

The Tax Base (equivalent number of Band D properties in Parish) had increased by 9 to 210.21.

 

 

 

 

099.2.2/18

After discussion is was agreed to increase the precept by 4.44% to a total of £8,075, in line with previous increases and resulting in an annual increase of £1.63 for a Band D property. Proposed by VT, seconded DS and agreed unanimously.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

099.3/18

Budget

 

 

 

 

099.3.1/18

The budget was discussed and the following points were noted

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Toddlers – have asked for a work bench which will cost approximately £100.  It was agreed to provide a grant for this which will be purchased via the school.  SW to obtain the information from the school so that this can be paid at the next meeting.

 

 

·                  School – it was agreed at the last meeting to grant a sum of £450 towards the purchase of a new picnic table.  SW has informed the school and the invoice is awaited.

 

 

·                  Church – a sum of £1,250 has been included in the budget for match funding for the West Door project.

 

 

·                  Community Open Space – a sum of £3,000 had been included in the budget for the cost of a shed for use by allotment holders as agreed at the last meeting.

 

 

 

 

099.3.2/18

The budget was agreed.

 

 

 

 

099.4/18

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

·                     Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary October £214.82

 

 

·                     HMRC – Oct/Nov/Dec PAYE - £143.40

 

 

·                     Mr D Sparkes – four gutter scoops for grit bins at £1.97 each, one gutter getter for grit bin at £5.00 and 3 boxes of chocolates (for Rangers) at £10.00 each – TOTAL £42.88

 

 

·                     Eau2 Advance Diver Training – first aid training (28April 2018) - £96.50

 

 

 

 

100/18

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

0100.1/18

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

101/18

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

101.1/18

The Chair, Vicky Higgins (VH) and Secretary, David Pattison (DP) of the Recreation Field Management Committee joined the meeting for this item along with two potential allotment holders.

 

 

 

 

101.2/18

Draft Terms of Reference

 

 

 

 

101.2.1/18

The draft Terms of Reference for the Allotment Steering Group were discussed.  DM suggested that a Review of authority to change the ToR should be included, probably at a six monthly interval with a referral back to the Parish Council.  All agreed unanimously and VGT stated that she would report back to the Steering Group.

 

 

 

 

101.2.2/18

VGT stated that a meeting of the Steering Group was held last week and members have been allocated various tasks to look at different aspects of moving things forward.

 

 

 

 

101.2.3/18

VH and DP then presented various points arising from the last Recreation Field Management Committee meeting as follows

 

 

 

 

101.3/18

Layout.

 

 

 

 

101.3.1/18

The RFMC would much prefer the allotments to run along a narrower strip of land along the length of the northern boundary rather than leaving a gap at the NE corner.  Allowing tractor access along the north and east boundaries for hedge cutting

 

 

 

 

101.3.2/18

The plots are estimated to be 2 x 10 metres and the whole length of the plots would be 80 metres.  The area would be further away from the Hedgerow neighbours. 

 

 

 

 

101.3.3/18

DP and VGT met with Andrew Eastwood, who is on the Steering Group, and discussed the fencing around the allotments.  A post and wire fence with a stock fence panel was agreed as suitable, i.e. not a solid fence and it will be more for demarcation than anything else.  It will be possible to have a hedge planted on the outside and this was something which neighbours were keen to have. 

 

 

 

 

101.3.4/18

DM proposed that the allotments be located as requested by the RFMC and this was seconded by DS.  However it was noted that this should be agreed by the Steering Group before coming back to the Parish Council.  CC therefore proposed that the Parish Council have no objection, in principle, to the change of the position of the allotments supported by the RFMC and this should be taken to the Allotment Steering Group to be decided.  This was agreed.

 

 

 

 

101.3.5/18

It was also suggested that as the date of the next Steering Group was only two weeks away the Hedgerows should be made aware of the change before that date in order to have time to consider it.  VGT will make sure that the neighbours are aware of the proposed change to the layout.

 

 

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

101.4/18

Path

 

 

 

 

101.4.1/18

The RFMC asked if the path to the allotments could be from the end of the tarmac path behind the play area down the hedge line on the east boundary, under the high voltage wires.  Precise position to be agreed.  There was no objection to this but again this should be discussed at the Steering Group

 

 

 

 

101.5/18

Shed

 

 

 

 

101.5.1/18

The RFMC did not want a heavy steel shipping container or similar for storage to be sited on the land.  It was noted that the proposal is for a more suitable building such as a wooden shed.

 

 

 

 

101.6/18

Role of the Parish Council

 

 

 

 

101.6.1/18

The RFMC asked that once set up the Parish Council role be limited to arbitrating between the allotment holders and residents.  As lessees of the land the RFMC should take responsibility and have authority on matters such as safety and third party liability insurance

 

 

 

 

101.6.2/18

This subject was discussed at length.  DP mentioned Charity Commission rules and the recommendation is that legal advice is sought before making any decisions.

 

 

 

 

101.6.3/18

CC suggested that it may be simpler if the Parish Council exclude the allotment area from the RFMC lease and DP had no objection to this.  The other option would be for the lease to pass to the RFMC or to the Allotment Association. 

 

 

 

 

101.6.4/18

It was suggested that contact should be made with the National Allotment Association who have legal representatives available to advise on such cases.  It was agreed that DP and DM would get together and discuss the legal aspects and then report back.  DM would also contact the National Allotment Association as suggested. 

 

 

 

 

DM/DP

 

 

 

101.7/18

General

 

 

 

 

101.7.1/18

VH asked if the grant from MDC just covers the allotment project or is for the whole Open Space project.  VGT stated that the grant is for the whole Open Space Project.  If there is any land available after the allotments have been agreed that that can be used for other Open Space projects such as a community and children’s area.

 

 

 

 

101.7.2/18

It was agreed that the most important priority was to purchase the land and plan what needs to be done.

 

 

 

 

101.8/18

Solicitors

 

 

 

 

101.8.1/18

Three tenders have been received from FDC Law, Harris and Harris and Towler Brown.  After discussion it was agreed to appoint Towler Brown to handle the land transaction and lease extension. 

 

 

 

 

101.8/19

DP, VH and two members of the public left the meeting

 

 

 

 

102/18

ELECTION

 

 

 

 

102..1/18

The Clerk distributed some election information.  CC announced his resignation and that he would not be standing for re-election to the Parish Council in May

 

 

 

 

103/18

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

103.1/18

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

104/18

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

104.1/18

PCSO – next PACT meeting will be held at Norton St Philip on 23 January which DS will attend.

 

 

 

 

104.2/18

Footpaths – DS stated that he had received a report that one of the footpath bridges had collapsed – this consists of two sleepers across the stream going towards Vobster.  DS is looking into obtaining some replacement sleepers and has also mentioned it to Mendip Ramblers and Claire Haskins at MDC.  The footpath consultation report has been completed and sent back to Jake Taylor – two of our footpaths have been downgraded.  DS reported that an additional footpath volunteer had been recruited.

 

 

 

 

104.3/18

Village Rangers – all the salt bins now have scoops.  One of the villagers has been litter picking and is doing a really good job.  Christmas gifts were distributed as agreed at the last meeting.

 

 

 

 

104.4/18

Highways –  the A367 is due to be closed from the A37, through Oakhill to Nettlebridge from 7:30am to 5:30pm for 5 days from Monday 18th February

 

 

 

 

104.5/18

Recreation Field – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

104.6/18

Memorial Hall – Tarmac Quiz 6 April

 

 

 

 

104.7/18

School – thanks received from the school for the grant for the picnic bench.

 

 

 

 

104.8/18

SALC – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

104.9/18

Quarry – CC is following up alterations to the draft S106 and the final version is awaited.  A parishioner has stated on Facebook that there appears to be a lot of quarry lorries using the village street.  CC will reply and ask that a note is made of the time, the registration number and the date.  However it is felt that this is unlikely to be lorries from Halecombe but more likely to be local deliveries. 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

104.10/18

Neighbourhood Watch – a parishioner has volunteered to coordinate neighbourhood watch in Park Hayes and DM has spoken to him as he was unsure of the area to be covered.  It was thought that the local PCSO needs to publicise and promote the neighbourhood watch areas more so that people are aware where the gaps are and can volunteer to fill them if possible.

 

 

 

 

105/18

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

105.1/18

Change of date of Mendip Parish Forum from 17 January to 28 February.

 

 

 

 

106/18

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

106.1/18

·                     PACT meeting – 23 January (DS)

 

 

·                     Parish Forum – 28 February

 

 

·                     Beat Surgery in the Church Tower Room – Saturday 9 February

 

 

 

 

107/18

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

107.1/18

The Clerk had received the following

 

 

 

 

 

·                  MDC Planning Team Contact Details – distributed

 

 

·                  Email from MDC giving information on a Conservation, Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas development session on Wednesday 30 January at 6.00 p.m. in the Council Chamber for Parish and District Councillors.

 

 

·                  Email from SALC regarding nominations to attend a Buckingham Palace Garden Party on Wednesday 29 May 2019.

 

 

·                  Letter from MDC regarding complaint against Councillor D Mattick stating that there is no clear evidence that there was a breach of the Code of Conduct and therefore no further action will be taken.

 

 

 

 

108/18

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

108.1/18

The next meeting will take place on Monday 18 February 2019 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.