MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 18 FEBRUARY 2019 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

0109/18

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

0109.1/18

Apologies were received from Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT), Philip Ham, District and County Councillor (PH) and Vicki Trundle, Councillor (VT)

 

 

 

 

0110/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0110.1/18

CC declared an interest in discussions around a grant for the Bell Fund (Finance).  There were no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

0111/18

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21 JANUARY 2019

 

 

 

 

0111.1/18

The following additions/alterations were made:

 

Item 099.4.18 Cheques agreed and raised – insert PCC of Leigh-on-Mendip with Downhead grant for heater £230.00

Item 089.3/18 – delete ‘chocolates’ and insert ‘gifts’

 

After these amendments were made the minutes of the meeting held on 21 January 2019 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

0112/18

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 21 JANUARY 2019

 

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath – CC reported that he has written to neighbours to check deeds and covenants.  So far no one has come forward with any knowledge of ownership.  CC has applied to the National Archives to see if information can be obtained about ownership of the land.

CC

 

 

 

151.5/17

Open Space project – no information regarding land search.  If this is not obtainable from VT then the Council will need to do their own search.  DM will email VT to check - ongoing

DM

 

 

 

APCM2/18

GDPR – agenda item for next meeting.

 

 

 

 

APCM3/18

Downhead Finger Post – DS is coordinating various local volunteers to move the fingerpost so that a new spigot can be made – ongoing.

 

DS

 

 

 

020.3/18

Old Wells Road scheme –still ongoing

PH

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - The Clerk reported on some problems in the Cemetery where a metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk had written to the family involved – ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

038.2/18

Annual Accounts – the Clerk has sent copies of the income and expenditure, Governance statement and statement of assets to CC to add to the website - complete

 

 

 

 

039.1/18

Cemetery/Churchyard – yew tree cutting – still awaiting the report from MDC/Idverde.  CC has spoken to PH who will escalate to the person who is in charge at MDC - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

039.2/18

Cemetery - It was agreed that the Clerk will laminate a copy of the Rules and Regulations for the cemetery and CC will arrange to put them up- ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

055.2/18

New Cemetery – four quotes have been requested for the area to be rotavated and seeded.  One quote received from the contractor who currently cuts the Recreation Field– it was agreed that this would be the upper limit and a decision will be made by email as other quotes are received - ongoing

CC

 

 

 

055.4/18

Boundary Fence (New Cemetery) – it was noted that the south boundary fence is collapsing and contact needs to be made with the owner.  PF has spoken to someone and is waiting for a response - ongoing

 

PF

 

 

 

071.21/18

Open Space Project –VGT will send a copy of the letter offering the land to the Clerk for response - complete

 

 

 

 

084.2./18

Grass Cutting – a quotation has been received from the current churchyard grass contractor at £80 per cut.  It was agreed unanimously to accept that quotation.  The Clerk will write and confirm.  The current contractor at the Recreation Field has quoted the same price for 2019 as for 2018, i.e. £40 per cut and it was agreed unanimously to accept this quote.  The Clerk will write and confirm.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

086/18

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

086.1/18

Some of the policies had been reviewed with others to follow.  Results of those reviews already undertaken were as follows.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Complaints Procedure – VT has redone this policy in line with SALC template and this needs to be sent to the Clerk

VT

 

·                     Data Protection Information – SW – to be updated in line with GDPR

Clerk

 

·                     Retention Policy – CC – no change, clerk to investigate actions and reissue

Clerk

 

·                     Financial Regulations – CC – looked at latest SALC version – to be updated and Clerk to look at actions - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

·                     Freedom of Information Policy – VT has completed this.  Clerk to send VT a word version so that she can update it.

 

Clerk

 

·                     Freedom of Information Publication Scheme – DM – suggested increasing cost of photocopying from 10p to 15p otherwise no other changes – to be updated

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     Grievance Policy – SW – based on SALC policy and issued for comment.  If agreed this can be converted into a formal policy

Clerk

 

·                     Lone Working Policy – has been distributed and will be discussed at the next meeting.  It was agreed that this should be an annex of the Health and Safety Policy.

 

 

·                     Standing Orders – DS – Clerk to update – minor changes - ongoing

Clerk

 

 

 

087.7/18

Open Space (west) Fence – four quotations have been requested.  CC will provide VGT with details of who he has asked to quote for the fence. 

CC

 

 

 

092.1/18

NALC – the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications (No 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 – the purpose is to improve the accessibility of public sector websites/mobile apps so that they can be used by as many people as possible building on the obligations to disabled people under the Equality Act 2010 and the duty to make reasonable adjustments for disable people.  CC and SW to consider. Ongoing

 

 

 

 

 

CC/SW

 

 

 

101.3.5/18

Alteration to position of allotments – VGT had asked the Hedgerow representatives on the Steering Group to inform their neighbours of the proposed alteration to the position of the allotments.  Nothing further had arisen from this - complete

 

 

 

 

101.6.4/18

National Allotment Association – DM had made contact with the National Allotment Association and had also met with David Pattison to discuss the legal aspects – complete.

 

 

 

 

104.9/18

Quarry lorries in the village – a parishioner had stated on Facebook that quarry lorries were using the village street.  CC had posted on Facebook and stated that a note should be made of the time, registration number and the date of any such sightings.  However it is felt that this is unlikely to be lorries from Halecombe but more likely local deliveries - complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

113/18

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

113.1/18

In the absence of PH and AT there were no formal reports.  It was noted that the quarry planning has been referred back to the Regulation Committee on the 7 March.  The S106 has been finalised. 

 

 

 

 

113.2/18

AT had reported that the SLOW sign has now been painted on the road at the top of Vobster Hill.

 

 

 

 

114/18

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

114.1/18

2019/0019/HSE Erection of dormer to rear – 12 Park Hayes, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs L Angell

 

 

 

 

114.1.1/18

The application was discussed.  It was proposed by DS, seconded by SW and approved unanimously to recommend approval.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

114.2/18

CURRENT APPLICATIONS AND PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

 

 

114.2.1/18

2018/2779/HSE Resiting of existing driveway, piers and gates at 1 Apple Meadow View, Park Hayes, BA3 5GP – refused

 

 

 

 

114.2.2/18

2018/2778/HSE Erection of a Juliet Balcony (retrospective) at 1 Apple Meadow View, Park Hayes BA3 5GP - refused

 

 

 

 

114.2.3/18

2019/3036/HSE Two storey side extension with associated parking and access at 16 Bellfield, Leigh-on-Mendip - approved

 

 

 

 

114.2.4/18

2018/3004/VRC Application to vary condition 2 (drawing numbers) and 3 (external facing materials) of planning approval 2017/3053/FUL (Conversion of an agricultural building to dwelling on land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottage, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip BA3 5QU - approved

 

 

 

 

115/18

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

115.1/18

Financial Statement

 

 

 

 

115.1.1/18

The financial statement as at 18.02.19 was approved.  It was noted that an additional column had been added for the Open Space Project funding.

 

 

 

 

115.2/18

Grant Request towards refurbishment of the Church bells

 

 

 

 

115.2.1/18

CC withdrew from this discussion. A letter had been received from the Bellringers requesting the Council to consider a grant of £1,000 towards the refurbishment of the church bells.  This was discussed and it was proposed by VGT, seconded by SW and agreed unanimously to approve a grant of £1,000 as requested.  A cheque was issued and signed

 

 

 

 

115.3/18

National Allotment Society – it was agreed unanimously to become members of the National Allotment Society. 

 

 

 

 

115.4/18

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

·                     Leigh-on-Mendip First School – grant for Picnic Rainbow Bench - £415.35

 

 

·                     Leigh-on-Mendip First School – grant to Toddlers Group for Playhouse and workbench - £87.67

 

 

·                     Thomas Turner – website domain renewal - £23.98

 

 

·                     D J Mattick – reimbursement for payment to National Allotment Society - £67.00

 

 

·                     Mrs A  Brooks – Clerk’s Salary – January 2019 - £214.82

 

 

·                     SLCC – annual membership fee – half shared with Witham Friary - £38.00

 

 

·                     Leigh-on-Mendip with Downhead PCC Bell Fund – grant towards bell refurbishment project - £1,000

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

116/18

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

0116.1/18

It was noted that the cemetery hedge needs cutting urgently before the nesting season starts.  DM stated that a parishioner had offered to help him with cutting the shrubs in the south east corner of the churchyard.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

117/18

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

117.1/18

VGT reported that the Allotment Steering Group had met prior to the Parish Council meeting and had put forward the following proposals for the Council’s agreement

 

 

 

 

 

·                     A peppercorn rent of £2 annually would be paid to the Parish Council and it was suggested that the Recreation Field Management Committee rent should increase to the same amount, i.e. from £1 to £2.  It was pointed out that the Allotment rent may need to increase if other costs are involved such as extra insurance cover. 

 

 

·                     The cost of an allotment to be £25 for 10’ x 10’, £12.50 for 10’ x 5’.  Cost includes membership of the National Allotment Society and cover for basic insurance it does not however cover a water supply.  Water costs will need to be assessed and a decision made about where the water is coming from. 

 

 

 

 

117.2/18

VGT stated that a farmer had come to look at the land with a view to ploughing.  He suggested that because of the amount of debris it should be sprayed first and then ploughed.  VGT will speak to VT to make sure they are happy that the land is sprayed before it becomes our property.

 

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

117.3/18

Draft Lease

 

 

 

 

117.3.1/18

DM reported that he had met with David Pattison and it was proposed that the best way forward was for the responsibility for the lease covering the allotment area to remain with the Parish Council rather than pass to the Recreation Field Management Committee.  This was agreed unanimously.

 

 

 

 

117.3.2/18

Any decisions to be discussed and agreed at the Allotment Steering Group before coming to the Parish Council for consideration. Situation on the lease to the plot holders is work in progress and will be discussed at the next Steering Group meeting.

 

 

 

 

117.3.3/18

It was proposed by CC that the Council agreed to the suggested rents and the way forward for the lease.  This was seconded by DS and agreed unanimously

 

 

 

 

118/18

PREPARATION OF PARISH NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

118.1/18

CC asked that anyone with contributions to make to the newsletter should submit them to him.  Final copy of last year’s newsletter is on the village website. 

 

 

 

 

119/18

REVIEW GDPR DOCUMENTS

 

 

 

 

119.1/18

This will be discussed at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

120/18

PARISH PLAN ACTIONS

 

 

 

 

120.1/18

The following actions were discussed as arising from the parish plan

 

 

 

 

120.1.1/18

Neighbourhood Watch coverage – Regular Beat Surgeries are now being held monthly in the Community Cafe with PCSO Mike Storey.   Currently four schemes cover East, Central (2) and Townsend/Tadhill.   It was noted that Lindsay Stone is the contact and VGT and CC will approach her about increasing coverage.

 

 

 

VGT

CC

 

 

 

120.1.2/18

Speedwatch – a local Speedwatch scheme to be considered if there is support and volunteers for this and it was agreed to put something on Facebook to see what interest there is from parishioners to become involved.  DS stated that at the recent PACT meeting it was noted that Speedwatch is expanding in MDC and he will speak to the PCSO about this at the next Beat Surgery.  It was suggested that the Speedwatch Coordinator for the area could be asked to attend a Beat Surgery.

 

 

 

 

120.1.3/18

Cycle Link from the village to ‘Colliers Way via Halecombe quarry and bridleway to Mells – it was noted that there is already a bridleway from ‘Mary’s Grave’.  It was agreed to see if there is any interest in the village.

 

 

 

 

120.1.4/18

It was agreed that all three of the above items should be included in the newsletter and to find out if there is any interest/volunteers who are willing to become involved.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

121/18

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

121.1/18

Defibrillator (village hall) – DM reported that the defibrillator at the Village Hall is not working at present and has been removed from the ambulance listing.  A new defibrillator is awaited and the current machine needs to be taken away and the problem investigated. 

 

 

 

 

122/18

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

122.1/18

PCSO – DS reported on the PACT Meeting 23 January at Norton St Philip.  Fines have been increased to £150 for littering with £400 for fly tipping.  PCSO Mike Storey is pleased with the Beat Surgery in Leigh-on-Mendip.  DS suggested that the next PACT meeting should be held at Leigh-on-Mendip Village Hall. 

 

 

 

 

122.2/18

Footpaths – DS reported that he had not yet been able to obtain sleepers to replace the footpath bridge which has collapsed across the stream to Vobster.  DS also stated that it had been brought to his notice that the footpath behind Tweed Farm to Coleford has been diverted.  DS and a parishioner will walk the footpath and see what is going on. 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

122.3/18

Village Rangers – carried out a stock take of salt bags, nine bags available.  Recommendation is to replenish bags in the autumn. 

 

 

 

 

122.4/18

Highways – the A367 is closed from the A37, through Oakhill to Nettlebridge from 7:30am to 5:30pm for 5 days from Monday 18th February

 

 

 

 

122.5/18

Recreation Field – rent paid for 2019 (£1)

 

 

 

 

122.6/18

Memorial Hall – Tarmac Quiz 6 April.  Roof is still leaking.

 

 

 

 

122.7/18

School – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

122.8/18

SALC – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

122.9/18

Quarry – DS reported that the workshop opposite Barnsclose had upgraded their security lighting now that they are parking lorries there and this was shining directly at Green Shutters.  DS has spoken to them about adjusting the lights.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

123/18

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

123.1/18

Confirm Mendip Parish Forum on 28 February – DS will attend.

 

 

 

 

124/18

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

124.1/18

·                     PACT meeting attended – 23 January (DS)

 

 

·                     Parish Forum – 28 February (DS)

 

 

 

 

125/18

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

125.1/18

The Clerk had received the following

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Letter from Hazel Park thanking the Council for the Christmas gift

 

 

·                  Email from SALC regarding Clerk’s Briefing to take place at Somerton on 12 April.

 

 

·                  Mendip District Council – election information – agenda item for the next meeting.

 

 

·                  Letter from Life Education requesting a grant towards their work of providing health, well-being and drug prevention education to Leigh-on-Mendip First School when they visit in March.

 

 

 

 

126/18

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

126.1/18

The next meeting will take place on Monday 18 March 2019 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.