MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 18 MARCH 2019 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

 

In attendance

Philip Ham, District and County Councillor

PH

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

3 members of the public

 

 

 

ACTIONS

0127/18

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

0127.1/18

Apologies were received from Anthea Brooks (AB), Clerk.  CC took the minutes.

 

 

 

 

0128/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0128.1/18

There were no declarations of interest or requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

0129/18

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 FEBRUARY 2019

 

 

 

 

0129.1/18

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 February 2019 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

0130/18

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 FEBRUARY 2019

 

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath –CC has applied to the National Archives for information from 1904 to see if information can be obtained about ownership of the land. CC to provide AB with receipts (£16.85).

 

 

CC

 

 

 

151.5/17

Open Space land search – land search information received. Complete.

 

 

 

 

APCM3/18

Downhead Finger Post – repair has been completed thanks to DS, John Davis, Frank Higgins, Daggs and Chris Ingrem. Awaiting final painting.

 

 

 

 

 

020.3/18

Old Wells Road scheme –still progressing, slowly.

PH

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - The Clerk reported on some problems in the Cemetery where a metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk had written to the family involved – ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

039.1/18

Cemetery/Churchyard – yew tree cutting – still awaiting the report from MDC/Idverde.  CC has escalated to the Neighbourhood Services Group Manager who agreed to proceed on 19 Feb but no responses since  - ongoing

 

 

CC

 

 

 

039.2/18

Cemetery - It was agreed that the Clerk will laminate a copy of the Rules and Regulations for the cemetery and CC will arrange to put them up- ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

055.2/18

New Cemetery – four quotes have been requested for the area to be rotavated and seeded.  Only one quote received (Shepton Mallet Landscape) limited to £475 + VAT. It was agreed to accept this quotation. CC to action.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

055.4/18

Boundary Fence (New Cemetery) – it was noted that the south boundary fence is collapsing and contact needs to be made with the owner.  PF has spoken to someone and is waiting for a response - ongoing

 

PF

 

 

 

084.2./18

Grass Cutting – Clerk to confirm whether the contractor for the churchyard and Rec Field had been ordered.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

086/18

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

086.1/18

The following policies have been reviewed with actions outstanding.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Complaints Procedure – VT has redone this policy in line with SALC template and comments sent to Clerk for update.

Clerk

 

·                     Data Protection Information – SW – to be updated in line with GDPR

Clerk

 

·                     Retention Policy – CC – no change, clerk to investigate actions and reissue

Clerk

 

·                     Financial Regulations – CC – looked at latest SALC version – to be updated and Clerk to look at actions - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

·                     Freedom of Information Policy – VT has completed this.  Clerk to send VT a word version so that she can update it.

 

Clerk

 

·                     Freedom of Information Publication Scheme – DM – suggested increasing cost of photocopying from 10p to 15p otherwise no other changes – to be updated

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     Grievance Policy – SW – based on SALC policy and issued for comment.  To be converted into a formal policy.

 

Clerk

 

·                     Lone Working Policy – PF drafted a policy. This was agreed to be an annex of the Health and Safety Policy. Clerk to issue.

 

Clerk

 

·                     Standing Orders – DS – minor changes.  Clerk to update.

Clerk

 

 

 

087.7/18

Open Space (west) Fence – four quotations have been requested.  CC provided VGT with contacts.  CC has arranged for a site visit by a recommended contractor on 22nd March. Member of the Allotments Working Group to also attend.

 

 

 

 

092.1/18

NALC – the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications, No 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 –  CC and SW to consider. Ongoing

 

CC/SW

 

 

 

0116.1/18

Cemetery – Thanks were expressed to DM and Mr Higgins who had cut the shrubs near the south east corner of the church and next to the entrance. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

117.2/18

Allotments - VGT to speak to VT about spraying before it becomes Council property. Complete, see 131.6/18.

 

 

 

 

 

120.1.1/18

Neighbourhood Watch coverage – VGT and CC to contact the Avon & Somerset NHW administrator about increasing coverage within the parish. This post is now vacant. Action to be closed until vacancy is filled.

 

 

 

 

120.1.4/18

Newsletter - 3 outstanding actions from the Parish Plan had been included in the draft newsletter. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

122.2/18

Footpaths – DS and a parishioner had walked the footpath behind Tweed Farm to Coleford and confirmed an issue which has been reported to the SCC Rights of Way officer.  Complete.

 

 

 

 

131/18

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

131.1/18

DM reported that there had been delays with the conveyance of the Open Space however this is now thought to be resolved. VT agreed to the previous search results being shown to the Council’s solicitor to confirm that there are no issues.

 

 

 

 

131.2/18

VGT had distributed the latest Allotment Development Plan prior to the meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

Allotment Fencing/Hedging

 

131.3/18

The Allotment Working Group had agreed to surround the allotments with stock proof fencing and plant native species hedge saplings along the whole west and south borders. Correspondence from Mr Eastwood asked that the hedging decision was reviewed by the Council as, until the saplings grew, there was a clear line of site into the house.  

 

 

 

 

131.4/18

The original proposal was for 2m screening which the Council are committed to provide once the hedge has matured. Options of purchasing fully grown plants or other types of temporary screening were considered to be either too costly or not sufficiently robust. Any reduced privacy due to the allotments was agreed to be insignificant due to the existing and future use of the Open Space between the dwelling and the allotments, the re-siting of allotments further away from the dwellings and existing sheds etc. in the private properties. It was proposed by DM and seconded by DS to plant saplings and grow until they formed a 2m screen. The proposal was carried unanimously. VGT to inform Mr Eastwood.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

131.5/18

Quotations are being obtained for the post & rail fencing on the west side of the Open Space and for the stock proof fencing around the allotments. VGT to provide a project  budget prior to the Council approving any fencing orders.

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

 

Spraying

 

131.6/18

Preparation of the allotment ground requires the spraying of a systemic weedkiller. VGT (through the Allotment Steering Group) will ensure that the work is conducted by a certified operator, who provides a method statement and risk assessment prior to the work being undertaken. The area will also be securely fenced and appropriate notices posted.

 

 

 

 

131.7/18

VGT tabled a draft letter to the owners of Manor Farm which stated that the Council agreed to take liability for the spraying of the area of the field identified for allotments, prior to finalising the sale to the PC. CC proposed and SW seconded that this letter is issued. All agreed. VT agreed to allow the spraying once the letter was delivered. CC to sign and deliver.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

131.8/18

PH offered valuable advice on fencing and the use of a systemic weed killer.

 

 

 

 

 

Draft Leases

 

131.9/18

DM reported that the leases between the Council and Rec Field Committee (Open Space) and the Allotment Group (allotment area) are both progressing without problems. A draft tenancy agreement is to be reviewed by the Allotment Working Group before submitting to the Council.

 

 

 

 

132/18

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

132.1/18

PH reported on SCC matters.

·         Council Tax letters had recently been delivered.

·         Following earlier budget cuts there is now a surplus forecast at year end. The cuts to highways gritting were to be reviewed.

·         Local quarry companies may operate a gritter for local roads.

·         Halecombe quarry planning was re-approved on 7 March and the S106 is due to be signed within weeks. 

·         CC & PF to provide PH with contacts for Fingerpost spares & repairs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PF & CC

 

 

 

132.2/18

AT and PH reported on MDC matters.

·         The footfall at the Mendip Country Practice was 50% higher this winter. Generally the new appointment system is working well.

·         Highway edging improvements had been completed on Quarry Lane towards Soho.

·         AT agreed to speak to Planning regarding which applications are referred to the Parish Council (e.g. VRC, APP, PAA, AGB)

·         PH was requested to explain the significant reduction in Special Expenses and the impact on the maintenance of Closed Churchyards.

 

 

 

 

 

 

AT

 

PH

 

 

 

133/18

NEW PLANNING APPLICATIONS

 

 

 

 

133.1/18

2019/0269/HSE  New Treatment Plant Tweed Farmhouse The Green Coleford BA3 5LY

 

 

The application was discussed and was agreed to be an improvement to the existing arrangement.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by DS and approved unanimously to recommend approval.  CC to inform MDC.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

133.2/18

2019/0435/PAA  Prior approval of proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwellinghouse (Use Class C3), and for associated operational development. - Land At 367524 146177 Old Wells Road Leigh On Mendip Shepton Mallet Somerset

 

 

The Council had not been formally requested to comment. It was agreed no comment was necessary.

 

 

 

 

134/18

CURRENT APPLICATIONS AND PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

 

 

134.1/18

2019/0019/HSE Erection of dormer to rear – 12 Park Hayes, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs L Angell - approved

 

 

 

 

134.2/18

Proposed development of 50 dwellings adjacent to Quarry Lane behind Ivy Cottage   The developer had given a briefing to CC, DS, VGT, PF & AT on 11 March. The development proposed to include areas for a school playing field and car park. A briefing to the Parish Council, a public meeting and a Housing Needs Survey are proposed prior to any formal planning application.

 

 

 

 

134.3/18

Local Plan Part 2 – Proposed changes to the submission draft  recommended by the inspector have been issued for comment. No changes to Leigh on Mendip content.

 

 

 

 

135/18

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

135.1/18

Financial Statement – deferred to next meeting in Clerks absence.

 

 

 

 

135.2/18

The payee for cheque #928 was corrected as per invoice and countersigned. Clerk to update records.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

135.3/18

Cheques agreed to be issued after the meeting

 

 

·                     Mrs A  Brooks – Clerk’s Salary and expenses – February 2019 - £214.82. Clerk to arrange signing.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

136/18

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

0136.1/18

CC had reminded Mr Gale that the cemetery hedge needs cutting urgently.

 

 

 

 

 

137/18

GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS

 

 

 

 

137.1/18

A draft Consent Form, Privacy Notice for Staff and Councillors and General Privacy Notice had been circulated for comment by the Clerk. Comments from SW were agreed. Clerk to issue a final draft incorporating SW comments for approval at April meeting.    

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

138/18

PARISH ELECTIONS

 

 

 

 

138.1/18

The Notice of Elections is to be published. Nominations are due to be submitted to MDC by 3rd April. Clerk to issue the Notice of Elections and provide nomination papers to councillors and other nominees.    

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

139/18

PREPARATION OF PARISH NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

139.1/18

Items had been received from councillors. CC to compose a draft for comment before the April meeting when the newsletter can be approved for publication.

 

 

 

 

140/18

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

140.1/18

DM reported that the defibrillator at the Village Hall is now operational and re-registered with the ambulance listing. 

 

 

 

 

141/18

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

141.1/18

PCSO – the monthly Beat Surgery in the café in the church was proving successful. The next date is Saturday 6th April (2:30pm to 4pm). DS suggested that the next PACT meeting should be held at Leigh-on-Mendip Village Hall. No date yet confirmed. 

 

 

 

 

141.2/18

Footpaths – the footpaths to Tweed Farm and from Great House Farm to Halecombe have been “adopted” by volunteers.

 

 

 

 

 

141.3/18

Village Rangers – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

141.4/18

Highways – the Council expressed their thanks to the WI for arranging the recent village litter pick and also to all others who regularly collect litter and report fly tipping on the lanes throughout the year.

 

 

 

 

141.5/18

Recreation Field – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

141.6/18

Memorial Hall – Tarmac Quiz on 6 April.  Further investigation of the roof  leak has been arranged.

 

 

 

 

141.7/18

School – funding towards the Life Education visit providing health, well-being and drug prevention education to Leigh-on-Mendip First School had  been received elsewhere.

 

 

 

 

141.8/18

SALC – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

141.9/18

Quarry – a Halecombe Local Liaison meeting is expected to be held following the re-approval of the quarry extension planning and the associated S106 agreement. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

142/18

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

142.1/18

CC had submitted suggestions for improving the Parish Bulletin, Forum and MDC website.

 

 

 

 

143/18

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

143.1/18

Parish Forum – held 28 February (DS & CC). Over 30 attendees.

 

 

 

 

144/18

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

144.1/18

None received.

 

 

 

 

145/18

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

145.1/18

The next meeting will take place on Monday 15 April 2019 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.